Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wombat7477
Reel Rookie

Roku Remote > Samsung UN55NU800D TV > Optic Cable > Sony Audio Receiver > Doesn't Work

Jump to solution

I just made the jump from Dish to all streaming with a Roku Streaming Stick +. My TV connects to a Sony audio receiver via optic cable, which worked through the Dish remote. I can get the Roku remote to control the TV speakers, but when I change the setting to Optic, it doesn't work. Any ideas?

FWIW, using the TV's native remote also works - when using the volume buttons, it shows on the screen the signal is being sent to the Optic connection and controls the volume.

Maybe I'll try swapping out the optic cable for HDMI from audio receiver to TV.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Remote > Samsung UN55NU800D TV > Optic Cable > Sony Audio Receiver > Doesn't Wo

Jump to solution

The Roku remote controls the tv by IR, and then the  tv controls the av receiver volume by hdmi-cec over a  hdmi cable. You can't pass remote commands over a optical cable. Yes, switch to hdmi cable. 

The dish remote probably controlled the av receiver by IR too. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Remote > Samsung UN55NU800D TV > Optic Cable > Sony Audio Receiver > Doesn't Wo

Jump to solution

The Roku remote controls the tv by IR, and then the  tv controls the av receiver volume by hdmi-cec over a  hdmi cable. You can't pass remote commands over a optical cable. Yes, switch to hdmi cable. 

The dish remote probably controlled the av receiver by IR too. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
wombat7477
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

HDMI did the trick, thanks for the advice!

0 Kudos