Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
htoll
Reel Rookie

Roku Remote Won't Pair After Changing Batteries

Jump to solution

Purchased a Roku Streaming Stick 4K a few months ago and everything worked perfectly until I went to change the batteries in the voice remote. I have taken out the batteries, unplugged the Roku device for 30+ seconds, put in new batteries, and am unable to pair. Even unplugging my TV, re-starting the Roku multiple times, and trying different new batteries, I am unable to get the green pairing light to flash. I have an older Roku remote I am able to re-pair just fine, so I'm not sure what the issue is. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku Remote Won't Pair After Changing Batteries

Jump to solution

Hi @htoll,

Thanks for keeping in touch and providing the additional information.

I have passed along your information to our Support team. They will follow up and assist you.

We appreciate your patience for the time being.

Best regards,
Mary

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 REPLIES 15
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

If the pairing light doesn't flash when you press and hold the pairing button for five seconds or so I would suspect the new batteries.  Try another set, even the old batteries, or the ones from another remote.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
htoll
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I re-tried the old batteries and multiple sets of new batteries with no luck, but appreciate the suggestion. 

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@htoll  You can download the Official Roku Remote Control app to your Android or iOS device. That will allow you to control your Roku. Since your Roku is under warranty you can file a claim. 

https://support.roku.com/article/208757058

0 Kudos
demsd
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I think those remotes are essentially garbage. I have two Ultras that Roku gave me. I started using one at night with headphones. The first remote worked fine for quite a while, but it ate batteries. Then every time I plugged in my headphones the Ultra would freeze, requiring me to reboot and pair. Eventually, it stopped pairing all together. So I stated using the remote from the second Ultra. It also eats batteries. A couple months ago it also started freezing every time I plugged in my headphones. The other day I ended up unplugging that Ultra, and plugged in the second Ultra and thus far I have had no issues with freezing. I suspect that will only be temporary.

40" TCL Roku TV
50" TCL Roku TV
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@htoll, that sounds like a dead remote.  You'll probably have to go the warranty return route.  I think Roku will want to replace everything, but maybe @RokuDanny-R can give better information.

Step by step instructions for returns and warranty replacements | Official Roku Support

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@htoll

Thanks for the posts.

Please feel free to provide us with the Roku device serial number/device ID on your Roku device. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
htoll
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks Danny,

Serial number: X01700CE486V

Device ID: S08Y419E486V

0 Kudos
Boz
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

This may be a silly question, but are you 100% sure you're putting the batteries in correctly?  I think the battery direction might be different for different Roku remote models.

0 Kudos
Boz
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@demsd wrote:

I think those remotes are essentially garbage. I have two Ultras that Roku gave me. I started using one at night with headphones. The first remote worked fine for quite a while, but it ate batteries. Then every time I plugged in my headphones the Ultra would freeze, requiring me to reboot and pair. Eventually, it stopped pairing all together. So I stated using the remote from the second Ultra. It also eats batteries. A couple months ago it also started freezing every time I plugged in my headphones. The other day I ended up unplugging that Ultra, and plugged in the second Ultra and thus far I have had no issues with freezing. I suspect that will only be temporary.

That sort of sounds like the headphones / freezing issue might have been with the first Roku device you were using?

Also, how do you power your Roku devices?  With the supplied wall wart, or plugged into a USB port on your TV, which would cause the Roku to power off every time you turn off the TV?  The reason I'm asking is because I recently found that a Roku remote with relatively fresh batteries was dead.  It was in a a guest room where I'd had a visitor stay, and eventually discovered that they had unplugged the Roku, I'm guessing because they thought they were supposed to "turn it off".  My theory is that the remote was continuing to look for the Roku, which depleted its batteries.  But that's just a guess...

0 Kudos