Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Roku Remote Volume Control Stopped Controlling Home Theatre Volume

I purchased a Roku stick several weeks ago and after going thru the set up procedures was able to control the volume on my Sony Home Theatre's volume. All of a sudden I've lost this control and the volume controls on the Roku remote will only control the TV's built in speakers. (Normally set to 0 since they're inferior to the surround system).

Any ideas?

Thanks!

8 Replies
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: Roku Remote Volume Control Stopped Controlling Home Theatre Volume

@weissmjn Thanks for the note. This type of functionality relies on HDMI CEC to work, on supported setups. You'd need to have HDMI CEC enabled on both your TV and A/V receiver, as well as your Roku device in order for this to work. On your Roku, go into Settings>System>Control other devices, and make sure that 1-touch play is enabled. Please keep us posted from there! 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

1-touch play is enabled. The strange thing is, the remote was controlling the home theatre volume perfectly for 2 weeks and stopped working without me changing anything.

Highlighted
Level 19

@weissmjn  Were there any firmware updates issued to your TV or receiver during that time? That could've possibly affected things. 

If your Roku device is currently connected to your TV, you might try changing your setup to connect the Roku directly to your A/V receiver, making sure that HDMI CEC is enabled on the receiver, then try again. 

If that still doesn't seem to clear up the issue, please reply with the specific model of Sony A/V receiver that you have, and we can continue looking into this. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Here is another thing I just noticed. The Roku remote had been turning off both the TV and A/V receiver when the power button was pushed. Now it only turns the TV off. It's as if Roku no longer knows about the receiver. 

Highlighted
Level 8

No firmware updates to either the TV or receiver since neither is connected to the internet.

It's a Sony BDV-E500W.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

@weissmjn It appears that CEC signals are no longer being sent from your TV to your receiver. I would recommend that you try adjusting the CEC settings on both the TV and receiver to ensure they are on, or try toggling them off and back on. 

If that doesn't clear up the issue, plug your Roku device directly into your receiver, and see if you are able to control any functions. Let us know what you discover. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Thanks for the input. I've discovered a button on the remote for the Sony receiver labeled "One Touch Play" and when I pressed it, I was able to control the surround sound with the Roku remote. I'm thinking one of my cats walked over the remote?

Still not sure why the power button on the remote no longer controls the receiver.

Making progress. 

Highlighted
Level 7

I fixed my Roku sound problem (remote) by changing the HDMI setting on my Pioneer Receiver.  Make sure the ARC function is turned on.  Hope this helps other people who are running Roku through a receiver.

0 Kudos