Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Boz
Roku Guru

Roku Remote Stops Working -- But ONLY AT NIGHT

Roku Remote Stops Working -- But ONLY AT NIGHT

The above issue occurs on both a Roku Streaming Stick 3800R and a Roku Express 4K Plus, and only in our family room.

On the other side of the wall with the TV and one of the above Roku devices on which the problem occurs is a bedroom with another TV and different Roku Streaming Stick 3800R, and the problem DOESN'T occur there.

Also, there are three TVs with Roku Streaming Stick 3600R devices in three upstairs bedrooms that do NOT experience this issue.

Why is this problem occuring ONLY in one room in our house, and ONLY at night?

Please help.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Remote Stops Working -- But ONLY AT NIGHT

It could be that something comes on at night and causes interference and it just happens to be worse in that room.  Have you tried moving devices around to see if the problem stays with the device or the location?

Another possibility is that some of your devices are using 2.4GHz and some are using 5GHz Wi-Fi.  If you have both available and the SSIDs (network names) are the same then you don't really know what devices are connected to 2.4GHz and which are connected to 5GHz.  You can check the channel number from Settings->Network->About and if it's 1 to 11 it's using 2.4GHz and if it's anything higher then it's using 5GHz.  The remote uses the same Wi-Fi channel.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Boz
Roku Guru

Thanks.   Unfortunately, I'm using a low-end mesh WiFi system, and there's no way for me to direct a Roku to connect to 5G, and they usually connect to 2.4G.  If I do happen to keep trying over and over again and get a Roku to connect to 5G, it will always eventually end up back on 2,4G.

Oh, and another interesting thing about the problem is, when the problem occurs on the Roku Express 4K Plus, the TV VOLUME & MUTE buttons ALSO stop working.

But when the problem occurs on the Roku Streaming Stick 3800R, the TV VOLUME buttons continue working.

Whatever that means...

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Its likely the 3800 remote's TV control is programmed for IR, and the 4K+ remote's TV control is programmed for CEC (based upon your description).

I also recommend switching devices around as @renojim suggests - at the very least, since the 4K+ is the "new device", try unplugging it before "night" and seeing if the issue still impacts the 3800 and its remote.

0 Kudos
dr_vasanth
Reel Rookie

I have the same problem with other Roku devices working perfectly and this one Roku device that suddenly stops streaming at night - it resumes sometime early morning!

0 Kudos
atc98092

@dr_vasanth this thread is specific to the remotes not working. Your post in the other thread was the appropriate place to post your issue.

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
atc98092

Just as an aside. Roku devices seem to have issues when used on Mesh networks. I don't have one, so I don't know if there's any specific settings within the network mesh that might be of assistance. Does the mesh require using the same SSID on both radio bands? If you can use different names on the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands, that might help ensuring which band you're using. Even with a non-mesh network, I have found that the routers don't always put the connecting device on the best radio. I like to have the ability to select the band I use. 

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos