Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Roku Remote Stopped Controlling TV

My Roku 3800RW remote has suddenly lost the ability to control the volume and power of my television after using it for 9 months. I have gone through the remote setup again and the system cannot find a code that will work with my TV......it did 9 months ago.
0 Kudos
12 Replies
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Roku Remote Stopped Controlling TV

I am having the same problem since the update a couple of weeks ago (Nov.2019)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Reddawg @LindaSlasbrg 

Thanks for letting us know about the issue that you are experiencing.

For assistance to set up your Roku remote to control your TV volume and power, visit our Support pages here:
How do I set up my Roku® enhanced remote to control my TV?
Why is my Roku® enhanced remote not controlling volume and power on my TV?

If you are still not able to resolve your issue with those troubleshooting steps, please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Thanks for reaching out! Sorry to hear about the issue you're running into.

What brand and model of TV are you trying to control? We'll pass this information along to the team to take a closer look.

In the meantime, if you haven't already, you might try each of the additional codes for your brand of TV by saying no to the prompts when programming your remote, to see if one of the alternate codes may work.

Please keep us posted and we'll continue assisting you from there!

Thanks,
Tanner
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

It is a Sumsung, model UN65NU8000.
The remote worked flawlessly with this TV until yesterday.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Thanks for the information. A couple more questions here:

- Are you using an A/V receiver or soundbar in your setup, or just the TV? If yes, what is the brand and model number?

- What software version and build is your Streaming Stick running in Settings>System>About?

Thanks,
Tanner
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Software 9.2.0 build 4131-55
Samsung UN65NU8000
I am just using the tv, no sound bar.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

The same thing has happened to me. It happened very suddenly. I have had the Roku device for about 10 months. When I power up the TV, and then try to get the Roku home page, it flashes up for 1 second, then disappears into a black screen. I have tried unplugging the TV to RESET, and also have tried unplugging the ROKU device to to RESET and neither of these things have worked. Was some kind of a software update done and now the device doesnt work?  HELP! I dont want to have to go out and buy a new ROKU. 

Highlighted
Level 18

I suggest starting with new batteries in the remote. Then just for programming the remote have it so the remote can see both roku and the front of the tv, maybe attach it to side hdmi for now, or if you have hdmi coupler have at the end of regular hdmi cable. Now try and program it for your tv, if it isn't controlling the roku either, re-pair and then program it for your tv.

Believe me no one has programmed roku remotes more for TV's then I, and with roku behind the tv set out of line of sight you get more fails then having line of sight to roku at least during programming.

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

To Ldensmore21...

Sounds like what my tv was doing.  Posts in a different thread gave me a solution.  When the screen goes black, try changing the picture mode on your TV remote.  It works for me but I am still hoping Roku will fix it properly.

0 Kudos