Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Roku Remote Volume Control Stopped Controlling Home Theatre Volume

Jump to solution

Two days ago, my Roku remote quit controlling the volume on my TV.  It will control the power, but not volume.  Nothing has changed on the TV side.  However; it does appear the Roku had an update the same day.  Now when I try to set up the Roku remote to work on my TV, it only tries one code and then states my TV isn't compatible.  But, it's a Sharp brand TV and is only a year or so old.  Definitely something going on with Roku on their side.  

Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Power and Volume not responding.

Jump to solution

My roku has been attached to the back of the tv for a year and a half, All working no issues.  Now the roku remotes power button and volume buttons don't work.

I tried new batteries, unplugging 20 seconds. taking batteries out, going through settings to system retart.

This seems like it should be an easy fix just haven't found it yet.

Any help?

Ok, got it fixed!!

I  knew it must have been easy. I went through settings to remotes and devices, set up remote for tv, and cycled through options to stop hearing music and that was my code. 

Remote is working now.

Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

Program your tv in?

settings> remote & devices> remote in use> program tv> follow the prompts

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

I am also having this issue for the last few days, likely since the latest update to the roku.

It is a roku 3800x and has controlled my TV volume and power for at least 2 years.  Now it won't, and when I try to set it up, it tries over 20 codes and then says that my "Coby" tv is incompatible.  My TV is an Envision, not a Coby.  Can't find where I can tell it my TV brand, so I guess I'm out of luck until enough people complain and make Roku investigate.

Tags (3)
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

If you are referring to pairing the roku remote to the tv again, I tried that twice to no avail. Went thru all the motions of "did sound go off" and it never did.  Although the remote device IS listed in the roku settings and it operates the Roku stick just fine, it does not operate the TV sound and power as it once did. If you have any other suggestions, I'd be thrilled to try them. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Same issue. My roku  stopped controlling my sound bar. Now the volume tries to control the tv volume instead of the soundbar.  Can’t be a coincidence that we are all suddenly having this issue. Must be a bug in yesterday’s update 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

Roku remotes only control tv's by IR, never have they controlled av receivers or soundbars directly. It is up to the TV to send signals to your audio gear over hdmi-cec. So the roku remote controls the tv, in turn the tv controls your av gear. Refresh the hdmi-cec devices connected to your tv. 

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Roku Remote Volume Control Stopped Controlling Power on/off & volume

Jump to solution

Just chiming in that this happened to me, also. The Roku remote had been controlling the volume on my Sony TV for years. Sometime in the last week, it stopped working. Fairly sure this was a Roku change.

Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Stream Stick + with enhanced remote won’t control volume

Jump to solution

Same problem. New unit, worked great for about 3 weeks and now can't control volume or mute. Any ideas?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Roku Remote Stopped Controlling TV - on off and volume - POSSIBLE SOLUTION!

Jump to solution

*** SOLUTION THAT WORKED FOR ME ***
I went into the Roku remote setup for setting it up to control the TV just as I had done previously, however this time I did NOT put my actual TV brand which is a Sharp.  I selected PHILIPS and it asked do you hear music yes, no? I heard music and answered yes, and then it cycled through several codes asking each time did the music stop yes,no until finding the code when the music finally stopped and I answered yes and finally the TV was now controllable!  MY TV IS A SHARP NOT A PHILIPS!

LONG STORY SHORT
A ROKU UPDATE APPEARS TO BE THE CULPRIT BEHIND THIS MALFUNCTION FOR ME.
ROKU SUPPORT NEEDS MORE WAYS TO CONTACT THEM, ESPECIALLY RIGHT NOW!

IF YOUR ROKU REMOTE STOPS WORKING WITH YOUR TV AND IS FAILING SETUP WITH YOUR TV, TRY OTHER TV BRANDS!!

*** THE STORY  ***
I have a Roku Ultra LT and a Sharp 4K TV and suddenly the Roku remote stopped controlling my TV, on, off and volume!  

I set up the remote when I first bought the Roku and it was controlling my TV just fine for many months and then yesterday I went to use it and it stopped controlling the TV.  It was controlling the Roku but NO TV power on or off or volume control. I removed the batteries, powered cycled the Roku, replaced the batteries, paired the remote with the Roku player and tried to set up the remote to control my TV.  None of this worked.  I tried setting up the remote with the Roku and the TV again several times and the Roku said that it could not find the TV code to control my TV despite the fact that it had been working fine until now. I researched this on Roku’s website wasting time and found no answers.

I checked the Roku device for any available system updates and it said that it was up to date and I noticed that it had been updated to Software version: 9.3.0 Build: 4132 on April 22, 2020 4:02 PM EST. I suspect this is what caused the problem.

I tried calling Roku support which is NOT available during this PANDEMIC!  I could not find a way to communicate this problem with Roku support chat or email. Only their contact customer support page, which is an online troubleshooter, that did NOT help.

Roku if it’s business as usual for rolling out device updates during this PANDEMIC then YOU need to have support persons available too! Otherwise STOP UPDATING DEVICES until you can properly support them!!

Tags (1)