Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Power and Volume not responding.

Jump to solution

How did the tech fix it? 

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I'm guessing some kind of update was done that we don't know about and it hosed this function. My remote is doing the same thing.
And another thing. When I go thru the steps to setup the remote to my tv ( you know where you have to listen to music) it goes thru the whole setup and ends with saying my tv isn't supported even tho it was working fine until yesterday.
C'mon Roku! get your **bleep** together and at least admit you have a screwed up patch.

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Same thing with me!   Worked fine (for over a year) until two days ago.   I set up the remote again and I was able to get it to control the volume (using a weird type 31 that I know I didn't have to use before) but still cannot turn the TV off/on.   C'mon ROKU what did you guys do???

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Roku Remote Stopped Controlling Power on/off & volume after OS 9.3 update

Jump to solution

Ok, I got mine to work by sheer luck. I went through the setup, said I could hear the music (I could), then I said no every code until I got to the end. I hit Retry and it prompted me to pick my tv manufacturer, I picked Mitsubishi and it started the process over again. I was going through and saying No because the music hadn't stopped, but at one point I must have hit the volume button because the volume indicator came up on my tv. The music had not stopped but I could control the tv so even thought the music was still playing I said it had stopped and now I can power on my tv again.

This is by no means fixed, I just happened to get really lucky accidentally pressing the volume buttons at the exact right time.

Highlighted
Level 9

Re: Roku Remote Stopped Controlling Power on/off & volume after OS 9.3 upd. FIX THAT WORKED FOR ME

Jump to solution

GeddyLeeFan's method worked for me.  I had at least 15 failed attempts at setting up the remote for my TV, and it telling me that it doesn't support my "Coby" TV (My TV is NOT Coby, but Envision).  Reviewed the doc's that Danny from ROKU kept posting.  Nothing in the docs told me how to set my TV Brand, and no one from ROKU would advise either. 

Apparently, once your setup attempt fails and tells you that your "Coby" TV isn't supported, you need to click on "Try Again".  At that point it will ask you your TV brand, and I had it fixed in 15 seconds.

ROKU, please adapt your documentation to accurately document how this works in the method to manually select TV brand (Especially while your updates apparently make the brand undectable.)

Hope this helps anyone out there still suffering!

For the record, here is the incorrect info in the documentation that made me not figure it out...

If the music continues to play, select No. Your Roku player was unable to detect the correct information about your TV, however, you can manually enter the brand by selecting Enter TV brand.

Setting up TV power and volume control - step 4

The above dialog does not appear!  you must select "Try Again" and then it will ask you to select your TV brand.  Come on ROKU, do you have no quality control looking into issues?

Tags (3)
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Roku Remote Stopped Controlling Power on/off & volume after OS 9.3 upd. FIX THAT WORKED FOR

Jump to solution

The above described workaround did it for me too.  At the end of the Q&A on the remote setup, (ignoring the fact if the music was heard or not), the onscreen comment said that my "Pioneer TV" could not be controlled.  This was odd, since I have a Sony TV.  I however do have a Pioneer Receiver.  I suspect the Roku recognizes the receiver, as it is connected through HDMI-ARC. 

But in order for the TV to be powered down at the press of the Roku power button, it should be controlling the TV, NOT the receiver.   So I kept trying this workaround, in combination with the Roku Volume buttons, until I saw the onscreen volume bar of the TV as opposed to the onscreen volume bar of the Receiver.

Before overriding the remote setup using this work around, when the power button on Roku is pressed on, both the TV and Receiver start up.  But when the Roku power button is pressed again, it only switched off the TV, not the Receiver.  To me that meant Roku was interacting with the Receiver, not the TV.  It really needs to interact with the connected TV.

I hope this feedback helps with correcting this problem.

My setup:

Roku Ultra 4660X, Software version 9.3.0 build 4143-46

Roku Remote RC193, firmware 2.01.19.108

TV: Sony XBR800X

Receiver: Pioneer Elite VBX-LX102

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Roku Remote Stopped Controlling Power on/off & volume after OS 9.3 upd. FIX THAT WORKED FOR

Jump to solution

The above described workaround did it for me too.  At the end of the Q&A on the remote setup, (ignoring the fact if the music was heard or not), the onscreen comment said that my "Pioneer TV" could not be controlled.  This was odd, since I have a Sony TV.  I however do have a Pioneer Receiver.  I suspect the Roku recognizes the receiver, as it is connected through HDMI-ARC. 

But in order for the TV to be powered down at the press of the Roku power button, it should be controlling the TV, NOT the receiver.   So I kept trying this workaround, in combination with the Roku Volume buttons, until I saw the onscreen volume bar of the TV as opposed to the onscreen volume bar of the Receiver.

Before overriding the remote setup using this work around, when the power button on Roku is pressed on, both the TV and Receiver start up.  But when the Roku power button is pressed again, it only switched off the TV, not the Receiver.  To me that meant Roku was interacting with the Receiver, not the TV.  It really needs to interact with the connected TV.

I hope this feedback helps with correcting this problem.

My setup:

Roku Ultra 4660X, Software version 9.3.0 build 4143-46

Roku Remote RC193, firmware 2.01.19.108

TV: Sony XBR800X

Receiver: Pioneer Elite VBX-LX102

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Re: Latest update broke controlling tv with Roku remote

Jump to solution

same problem here with Roku Ultra connected to Insignia TV.

has worked flawless for over a year and suddenly volume and on off stopped working, all other controls work.

none of the 49 selections in setup work and there is no offer to input tv type and shown in help files.

please help

[personal information removed]

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Roku Remote Stopped Controlling Power on/off & volume after OS 9.3 update

Jump to solution

I had the same problem. worked fine for 6 months then quit. how I was able to get the vol. and on/off working again was going to set up remote for tv where it asks you what brand of tv you have. I have a sharp , so I started trying other tv brands and got to Philips , bingo , remote now works fine

Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Roku Remote Volume Control Stopped Controlling Home Theatre Volume

Jump to solution

I had the same problem with Roku plugged directly into my Samsung TV. Isolated loss of volume control which had previously worked. Taking out the batteries of the remote control and reinserting then worked! 

0 Kudos