Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Roku Remote Stopped Controlling Power on/off & volume after OS 9.3 update

Jump to solution

Three days ago my remote stopped controlling the power & volume on my point anywhere stick 3800R that has worked properly for over a year.  I have tried everything I can -  pairing the remote (several times), unplugging & waiting, removing batteries, restarting system, making sure 'one touch' is still enabled.  Automatic updates are up to date on roku & tv.  There is nothing else connected to tv - just the roku stick that as I said has always worked until 3 days ago.  Perhaps someone from Roku can give an answer??

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Latest update broke controlling tv with Roku remote

Jump to solution

@JesterJLay @jonavarque 

Thanks for the note.

Some customer are reporting that after setting up their remote to control their TV again they were able to resolve the issue after the newest update.

We would recommend tying to set up your remote to control your TV by:
Settings -> Remotes & devices -> Remotes -> Remote (In use) -> Set up remote for TV control

For more information about setting up your TV controls with your remote, visit our Support page here: How do I set up my Roku® enhanced remote to control my TV?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Power and Volume not responding.

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the information.

If you are having experiencing issues regarding your remote no longer being able to control the TV power or volume after the recent update, we would recommend tying to set up your remote to control your TV by:
Settings -> Remotes & devices -> Remotes -> Remote (In use) -> Set up remote for TV control

For more information about setting up your TV controls with your remote, visit our Support page here: How do I set up my Roku® enhanced remote to control my TV?

Please feel free to PM with the following information:
-your Roku account email
-Roku device model and serial number (found in Settings > System > About)
-what software version build your device is on (found in Settings > System > About)
-what brand TV are you experiencing this issue
-did setting up your remote to your TV again recommended above resolve your issue?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Roku Remote Stopped Controlling Power on/off & volume after OS 9.3 update

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the information.

If you are having experiencing issues regarding your remote no longer being able to control the TV power or volume after the recent update, we would recommend tying to set up your remote to control your TV by:

Please feel free to PM with the following information:
-your Roku account email
-Roku device model and serial number (found in Settings > System > About)
-what software version build your device is on (found in Settings > System > About)
-what brand TV are you experiencing this issue
-did setting up your remote to your TV again recommended above resolve your issue?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Remote pairing to change TV volume and power

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your patience regarding the issue.

Please manually check for an update on your device as this is believed to resolve the issue you are experiencing. You can perform a manual update by Home > Settings > System > System Update.

For more information about how to perform a manual update, visit our Support page here: How do I update the software on my Roku® streaming device?

Please keep me posted on whether or not this resolves your issue.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts and information. 

If you are having experiencing issues regarding your remote no longer being able to control the TV power or volume after the recent update, we would first recommend tying to set up your remote to control your TV by:

If you are still unable to resolve the issue, we would need to know when you started experiencing this issue.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts and information. 

If you are having experiencing issues regarding your remote no longer being able to control the TV power or volume after the recent update, we would first recommend tying to set up your remote to control your TV by:

If you are still unable to resolve the issue, we would need to know when you started experiencing this issue.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

0 Kudos
337 Replies
Highlighted
Level 8

Roku remote won’t power tv on/off and won’t control volume

Jump to solution

My new Roku remote worked great for the first few days.  Then all of a sudden today lit will no longer turn the tv on/off or control the volume.  Have changed the batteries and also went through complete power cycle of tv and Roku Ultra multiple times.  Paired remote each time. 

Highlighted
Level 17

Re: Roku remote won’t power tv on/off and won’t control volume

Jump to solution

https://support.roku.com/article/115013019828

Do you get the dialog on your tv?

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Yes, been through all of the setup.  The remote is still paired and works just fine on all Roku applications.  It just wont power the TV on and off and control the volume, and have to use the TV remote for both of these functions.  I've searched extensively in the posts and haven't come across anything similar yet.  Everything I see in the community and from Roku is how to go through setup and pair it, but that's not the problem with mine.....Have also performed restarts by unplugging Roku device and taking batteries out of remote multiple times.  Also changed the batteries in the remote even though it's a few days old.   Does Roku support monitor these sites or is there a way to talk to a tech?

Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

Is there something in the way like a sound bar in front of the tv blocking the sensor? 

You retry programming the tv and skip the first one that worked and see if another gives you better results. 

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I’m having the same problem. Mine has worked for over a year and Friday it stopped powering the tv down and letting me control the volume. I have repaired everything as you did with no luck. Did you ever find a solution? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

No, not yet.  And this is even more odd.  I installed a Roku Ultra on one of my other TVs in the house just about a week earlier.  It's the exact same Roku model of the one that doesn't work, but this one works just like it's supposed to.  I wonder if it has something to do with the TV.  The TV with the non-operable Roku remote is an LG.  What's yours?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Nothing blocking it.  I'll retry programming.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

Do you have any remote that works the this tv? It might be the tv, IR sensor might have gone bad? 

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Yes the TV remote works just fine.  The TV is brand new.

0 Kudos