Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Roku Remote Stopped Controlling Power on/off & volume after OS 9.3 update

Jump to solution

Three days ago my remote stopped controlling the power & volume on my point anywhere stick 3800R that has worked properly for over a year.  I have tried everything I can -  pairing the remote (several times), unplugging & waiting, removing batteries, restarting system, making sure 'one touch' is still enabled.  Automatic updates are up to date on roku & tv.  There is nothing else connected to tv - just the roku stick that as I said has always worked until 3 days ago.  Perhaps someone from Roku can give an answer??

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Latest update broke controlling tv with Roku remote

Jump to solution

@JesterJLay @jonavarque 

Thanks for the note.

Some customer are reporting that after setting up their remote to control their TV again they were able to resolve the issue after the newest update.

We would recommend tying to set up your remote to control your TV by:
Settings -> Remotes & devices -> Remotes -> Remote (In use) -> Set up remote for TV control

For more information about setting up your TV controls with your remote, visit our Support page here: How do I set up my Roku® enhanced remote to control my TV?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Power and Volume not responding.

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the information.

If you are having experiencing issues regarding your remote no longer being able to control the TV power or volume after the recent update, we would recommend tying to set up your remote to control your TV by:
Settings -> Remotes & devices -> Remotes -> Remote (In use) -> Set up remote for TV control

For more information about setting up your TV controls with your remote, visit our Support page here: How do I set up my Roku® enhanced remote to control my TV?

Please feel free to PM with the following information:
-your Roku account email
-Roku device model and serial number (found in Settings > System > About)
-what software version build your device is on (found in Settings > System > About)
-what brand TV are you experiencing this issue
-did setting up your remote to your TV again recommended above resolve your issue?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Roku Remote Stopped Controlling Power on/off & volume after OS 9.3 update

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the information.

If you are having experiencing issues regarding your remote no longer being able to control the TV power or volume after the recent update, we would recommend tying to set up your remote to control your TV by:

Please feel free to PM with the following information:
-your Roku account email
-Roku device model and serial number (found in Settings > System > About)
-what software version build your device is on (found in Settings > System > About)
-what brand TV are you experiencing this issue
-did setting up your remote to your TV again recommended above resolve your issue?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Remote pairing to change TV volume and power

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your patience regarding the issue.

Please manually check for an update on your device as this is believed to resolve the issue you are experiencing. You can perform a manual update by Home > Settings > System > System Update.

For more information about how to perform a manual update, visit our Support page here: How do I update the software on my Roku® streaming device?

Please keep me posted on whether or not this resolves your issue.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts and information. 

If you are having experiencing issues regarding your remote no longer being able to control the TV power or volume after the recent update, we would first recommend tying to set up your remote to control your TV by:

If you are still unable to resolve the issue, we would need to know when you started experiencing this issue.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts and information. 

If you are having experiencing issues regarding your remote no longer being able to control the TV power or volume after the recent update, we would first recommend tying to set up your remote to control your TV by:

If you are still unable to resolve the issue, we would need to know when you started experiencing this issue.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

0 Kudos
243 Replies
Highlighted
Level 7

Remote Suddenly unable to control TV

Jump to solution

Bought the Roku Ultra for my Girlfriend to have in her room a few months back.  It was a toss up between this and sticking with Apple but I decided to give it a shot.

I paired the remote (point anywhere type) to her TV without issue about a month ago and things worked great.  A few hours ago we turned the TV and roku device on using the included remote and made a few volume adjustments.  At some point it decided that this was no longer enjoyable and won’t control the tv volume or power.  

Zero changes have been made in the room or settings in weeks.  I’ve read through MANY posts with the same thing.  I’ve read all the troubleshooting guides and reset the remote, tried to re pair, but the music never stops playing.  

The first time I did this it almost immediately stopped.  I’m extremely frustrated after spending a solid couple of hours trying to get this to work.  More infuriating is all the other forum posts end with “pm me” from roku employees and no one ever actually posts a **bleep** solution in the thread.  Ultimately I’m trying to figure out why I didn’t just go with the known option and opt for another Apple TV.

Please excuse any spelling errors due to fat fingering letters on my phone.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Remote Suddenly unable to control TV

Jump to solution

@Sprinkle 

Thanks for the information. I'm sorry to hear about the experience—that's not what we aim for.

I have passed along your concerns to our Support team. They will follow up and assist you.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Googled this problem to find this link marked "Problem solved" but that is not the case. Problem not solved. I started having the same issue yesterday. The Roku remote IS paired since all the buttons work find except the power and side volume buttons. The settings even show the remote device. So I put in new batteries (twice) and I re-paired twice. I actually had to go through the "is the sound off" procedure each time and it never went off resulting in a screen telling me this tv could not be paired. The other buttons such as left right and Netflix, etc buttons all worked just fine. Just not the Power and Volume.  So I went thru the pair a new resetting the remote by pressing the reset button in the battery compartment. The light started flashing and never paired and now NOTHING on the remote works. Ugh.  So I am assuming the remote is actually fine for the Roku device itself but somehow the tv dropped its list of TV's supported. Its a small kitchen size Dynex which works just fine with its remote. But now I can't even get the Roku remote to do anything! None of the buttons works since I used the reset feature. Stuck on "No Remote Found" screen and will not budge. So I unplugged the power to the Roku device and back on to get back to the normal Roku screen which it did fine. It did a short search of remote pairing and returned to the home screen as usual. Only the Power and volume buttons still do not work! Not sure what to do now.  I can only assume this TV is not longer supported?

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

PS: There was never an option to actually type in a name brand for my TV as someone had suggested. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Roku Remote Volume Control Stopped Controlling Home Theatre Volume

Jump to solution

Two days ago, my Roku remote quit controlling the volume on my TV.  It will control the power, but not volume.  Nothing has changed on the TV side.  However; it does appear the Roku had an update the same day.  Now when I try to set up the Roku remote to work on my TV, it only tries one code and then states my TV isn't compatible.  But, it's a Sharp brand TV and is only a year or so old.  Definitely something going on with Roku on their side.  

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

My roku has been attached to the back of the tv for a year and a half, All working no issues.  Now the roku remotes power button and volume buttons don't work.

I tried new batteries, unplugging 20 seconds. taking batteries out, going through settings to system retart.

This seems like it should be an easy fix just haven't found it yet.

Any help?

Ok, got it fixed!!

I  knew it must have been easy. I went through settings to remotes and devices, set up remote for tv, and cycled through options to stop hearing music and that was my code. 

Remote is working now.

Highlighted
Level 18

Jump to solution

Program your tv in?

settings> remote & devices> remote in use> program tv> follow the prompts

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Re: Roku Remote Volume Control Stopped Controlling Home Theatre Volume

Jump to solution

I am also having this issue for the last few days, likely since the latest update to the roku.

It is a roku 3800x and has controlled my TV volume and power for at least 2 years.  Now it won't, and when I try to set it up, it tries over 20 codes and then says that my "Coby" tv is incompatible.  My TV is an Envision, not a Coby.  Can't find where I can tell it my TV brand, so I guess I'm out of luck until enough people complain and make Roku investigate.

Tags (3)
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

If you are referring to pairing the roku remote to the tv again, I tried that twice to no avail. Went thru all the motions of "did sound go off" and it never did.  Although the remote device IS listed in the roku settings and it operates the Roku stick just fine, it does not operate the TV sound and power as it once did. If you have any other suggestions, I'd be thrilled to try them. 

0 Kudos