Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Da1chozen
Level 7

Re: Roku Remote Quick Buttons

Jump to solution
I was trying to reply to the Roku team response.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tivoburkee
Level 16

Jump to solution

Did ever ask your tv manufacturer, dvd player manufacturer, or before that vcr manufacturer to change keys on their oem remotes included with equipment you purchased? Why should roku be the first to start something no other company ever did before?

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
ryngard
Level 8

Jump to solution

"Did ever ask your tv manufacturer, dvd player manufacturer, or before that vcr manufacturer to change keys on their oem remotes included with equipment you purchased? Why should roku be the first to start something no other company ever did before?"

That is a totally different situation. They don't preprogram in apps that they then may discontinue, leaving you with useless buttons. This is a different product, it isn't an apples to apples comparison. 

Why should they start doing something first? I dunno, to be innovative? To do something for their customers to encourage sales? To have a niche?

This isn't even a unique suggestion or some off the wall situation. This isn't even hard. They can build the remote to be customizable. They've already added two buttons that can be programmable, have the others be the same and then let you purchase an App button pack that is interchangeable. They can make more money...

I don't know why you thought you needed to chime in White Knighting Roku as if they were under attack, which they weren't, but this isn't some crazy suggestion.

Highlighted
rptherriault
Level 8

Jump to solution

I definitely would like to reprogram my quick buttons too. Maybe they will improve it.

Highlighted
mattweeds
Level 7

Jump to solution

I don't know what kind of kickbacks Roku gets from who they choose to put on the quick buttons, but not offering an aftermarket remote with 4 or 6 buttons, not preprogrammed to channels I will never use would eliminate the only complaint I have ever had about Roku. I get why they are there, but talk about the most annoying thing ever! 

Highlighted
WSOTW
Level 7

Jump to solution

What a crock.  I mistakenly assumed that since the photo of the remote I purchased for my mom's Roku t.v. showed FOUR BLANK BUTTONS, that I might have the option of programming those so that she might push one damned button to get to her Law and Order station.  Now I find out that not only are the blank buttons misleading but it would appear that my back up plan of letting her use the voice activated feature to access that channel ALSO WILL NOT WORK UNLESS LAW AND ORDER HAPPENS TO BE ON A ROKU CHANNEL.  Honestly, could you make it any more difficult for the elderly?:????  My mom has dementia and every damned day she has meltdown until I come to her house and find her channel.  I'd like to toss this Roku piece of garbage out the window.

Highlighted
Looknow12
Level 7

Jump to solution

Can we buy this remote with the two personal shortcuts?  I’m assuming these shortcuts can be linked to an app. 

Highlighted
Tivoburkee
Level 16

Jump to solution

Yes, on the accessory page its the second remote down, cost $29.99, It only holds voice prompts, which can be an app, if it can understand you.

https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/player

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Looknow12
Level 7

Jump to solution

That one doesn’t have the two personal buttons in the image. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tivoburkee
Level 16

Jump to solution

It certainly does, it just doesn't have the 1 & 2 on the keys, but they're there, and when you add it to your cart, its listed as rc411. I own two of these remotes.

And if you look at the image theres a small bump below the volume keys on the side of  the remote, only recently released remotes have Mute key, the RC-Al7 no headphone remote, RC-AL8 Stick + remote, and the Ultra RC-AL9, which this is. Previously only Roku tv remotes had a mute key.

Edmund