Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Remote Quick Buttons

Jump to solution

If you're speaking of the "branded buttons", you can bet your life that those buttons aren't going anywhere.  There's nothing in that link that says anything to the contrary.  They've used pictures of remotes with blank buttons for years.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
ethyss
Level 9

Jump to solution

guessing you didn't read the article I linked. 

It's financially beneficial to Roku, and to their sponsors, to provide individual programming of buttons.  How else would they and their sponsors ever know what Roku's consumers prefer to watch?  It would be much the same as the old box Nielsen provided to test-watchers in order to gather info for ratings.

Davenlr
Level 9

Jump to solution

I find it funny.  I have never used a single one of those buttons, and have 4 Roku's.

At least the Ultra lets you program 2 buttons with your voice.

F_r_buttons
Level 7

Jump to solution

TRASH! Sling, direct tv now? Are you kidding me. not letting us reprogram the control. Who is your real customer? Doesn't feel like me!

ethyss
Level 9

Jump to solution

Update:

A flash offer on my TV via Roku device: 
a "new" remote (the "Pro" offered to "only 2,000" takers) which has a rechargeable battery AND other upgrades -  the pix showed blank buttons to program.  The remote was offered at a discount in exchange for responding to questions and offering input.  So I jumped at it.

Result:

1. Roku charged me full price - no discount.  After chatting & emailing, they deny knowledge of any discount.
  2. Yes it has a rechargeable battery.
  3. No programmable buttons -- it has the same ol' pre-programmed buttons 
  4. AND -- NO OTHER NEW FEATURES.
  5. I've had no requests for input or comments.
  6. =  I now feel ripped-off!  Ugh !  

Anyone have a bridge I can buy ???

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Marketing photos for Roku remotes often show blank buttons because you never know what you'll get.  I don't know why people seem to think they must be programmable since they're blank.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
F_r_buttons
Level 7

Jump to solution

People think. That's super **bleep**ing easy to do. A company that cares about their customer would do that............... But we are not their customers...... 

Kaedwards
Level 7

Okay but imagine the four button on the remote were changeable

Jump to solution

Imagine you could get little buttons to change the remote and program the button so you don't have useless button you don't use. Also they would mare more money from it cause I would but a bunch of bottom cover so I can constantly change the button like I don't use vudu so why do I need a button to accidentally press and go to that app let me change it so something I'll actually use.

NinjaJane
Level 7

Jump to solution

I came here with the same question, I don’t use Vudu or Sling and occasionally one of those buttons will get pressed accidentally and it’s quite annoying 

RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

You cannot re-program a channel button on any Roku remote that has a channel name printed on it.

Due to the age of this thread, we will be locking this thread. If you are still experiencing an issue related to this thread, please feel free to search the Community for another thread related to your issue, and if no threads currently exist, you are more than welcome to create a new post.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos