Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pogatch44
Level 7

Remote Control quick buttons (can they be changed?)

Jump to solution

I'm wondering if it is possible to reprogram the quick buttons on the bottom to take me somewhere besides where the button says? We don't use 3/4 buttons. Is it possible to change, say, the ESPN button so it takes me directly to Disney?

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Level 21

Re: Remote Control quick buttons (can they be changed?)

Jump to solution

Sorry, but no. 

Edmund
0 Kudos
ValRuiz
Level 7

Re: Roku Remote Quick Buttons

Jump to solution

What I can't stand is accidentally bumping the bottom button (because of its foolish placement), then being stuck waiting to bring it back to the home screen so I can do what I actually wanted to do with the product that I paid TCL more than their "marketing partners" did.

ValRuiz
Level 7

Re: When will we be able to program the 4 buttons on the bottom.

Jump to solution

I seriously doubt there's a single person here that wouldn't pay an extra $4 to eliminate this headache...

ShiChiHaChi
Level 8

Jump to solution

Roku could win big by putting a survey out there for current purchasers on what kind of remote design we'd all want.  Mostly, I just want more space between all the buttons and high traffic buttons (like PAUSE and PLAY anyone?) super easy to hit with a big thumb in the dark.  

For me, there are just 3 categories of buttons.

1) Buttons that I always use once or twice during a viewing session.

POWER/HOME/OK/NAVIGATION ARROWS

2) Buttons that I use often during viewing sessions

PLAY/PAUSE/RW/FF/VOLUME/BACK

3) Buttons that I NEVER use.

*/MIC/BACK LOOP/& EVERYTHING BELOW PLAY/PAUSE

So for me, half of the tiny remote has wasted surface space.

I don't have survey data on how the majority of users interact with their remote, but for me, I tend to stick with whatever series I'm watching and don't watch more than 2 different ones during one evening binge.  Often just one.

I think we all agree that the preprogrammed buttons are mostly unnecessary, especially because they cannot be preprogrammed for seniors who can't figure out their remotes.  We'd all gladly pay even $5 on top of the cost of the Roku, to purchase a remote that is exactly what we want.  If we can't reprogram those buttons, then just eliminate them! 

Space is good. 

With the home button so crazy fast, who really needs a button to take you directly to Netflix?   I subscribe to 6 streaming channels and can get to all of them in mere seconds.  I like looking at the home screen with everything else there and it's easy to customize that to have your most frequently used channels at the top.

I don't adjust Volume a lot (although there is a wild discrepancy between volumes on different channels), but it works perfectly on the side edge for me. 

Again, I'm a recent convert to Roku after giving up on a lifetime of great Apple hardware which simply does not seem to extend to the AppleTV design team.  I've lived and worked in the Apple ecosystem as a professional tech and the AppleTV remote is the number one crappiest piece of hardware that Apple has ever, and I mean ever, produced.  The Roku remote is not perfect, it needs to get off the **bleep** wifi and stop knocking my wifi out randomly (especially because I have it WIRED in with ethernet), but it shows a lot of promise.  The way that Roku organizes the channels and the processing speed at which it loads channels is noticeably, dramatically faster than AppleTV.

It's a better product, that could still be better.

So Roku, are you listening?

Tivoburkee
Level 21

Jump to solution

And the contract roku has with service providers and many thousand of remotes you're dealing with goes out the window for handful individuals who even care about this? It doesn't compute.

Edmund
0 Kudos
renojim
Level 21

Jump to solution

Sorry, but nope.

0 Kudos
DuaneJ
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thanks everyone for your input. That said, I took it upon myself to re-engineer the remote. I took a little time and patience...

1. I removed the battery housing cover and 'delicately' pried apart the cover, just enough to allow me enough clearance to remove the 4 button pad.
  2. Got a piece of double sided tape and place it over the openings where the buttons once were.
  3. Cut and placed a piece of leather that I got from an old luggage tag (a sturdy piece of plastic might suffice), and placed it on the double-sided tape.
  4. Got a piece of electrical tape, placed it over the leather strip and cut it right where the top cover and battery compartment cover meet, to allow access to change the batteries when needed.

This might look primitive, but hey...no nuisance buttons! I tried to attach a photo, but for some reason I can't load it into the message. The Insert/edit image didn't work like I thought it would, but hey...no nuisance buttons, and yes the remote still works! 😊

SuperD
Level 8

Jump to solution

I purchased an Inteset remote for around $20 on Amazon.  It comes ready to run a Roku and Tivo.  I programmed it to run my stereo (it also learns).  Much more ergonomic than the Roku remote and has back lit buttons.  The biggest drawback to me is the remote has very little memory.  I quickly ran out of room programming buttons the way I wanted them.  I could not even use the macro function because of this.  My past experience with macro's hasn't been good so that is not a big deal to me.  I don't use shortcut buttons to various services, but if they want to pay me a royalty, I will consider it.

DuaneJ
Level 8

Jump to solution

@SuperD wrote:

I purchased an Inteset remote for around $20 on Amazon.  It comes ready to run a Roku and Tivo.  I programmed it to run my stereo (it also learns).  Much more ergonomic than the Roku remote and has back lit buttons.  The biggest drawback to me is the remote has very little memory.  I quickly ran out of room programming buttons the way I wanted them.  I could not even use the macro function because of this.  My past experience with macro's hasn't been good so that is not a big deal to me.  I don't use shortcut buttons to various services, but if they want to pay me a royalty, I will consider it.

Thanks for the suggestion, but my father is 92 years old with dementia. The remote you suggested has entirely too many buttons. I simply want him to be able to push as few buttons as possible. No number buttons, no buttons with words. I his case, the fewer the better...

0 Kudos