Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
ncoppola
Level 7

Roku Remote Quick Buttons

Jump to solution

I'm wondering if it is possible to reprogram one or more of the remote quick buttons to a different Roku App than is listed on the remote.  Thank you. 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Roku Remote Quick Buttons

Jump to solution

Thanks for the question here!

You cannot re-program a channel button on any Roku remote that has a channel name printed on it. 

The latest Roku Ultra (mdoel 4670) is sold with our latest Enhanced Voice Remote, which offers 2 personal shortcut buttons that can be programmed with any supported voice command, including 'Launch [insert channel name]'. See more here: https://www.roku.com/products/roku-ultra

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
renojim
Level 10

Jump to solution
Nope.
0 Kudos
mikebdoss
Level 10

Jump to solution
Nope. Those are placed there through advertising agreements between the channel owners and Roku, and can't be edited/changed. 
0 Kudos
ncoppola
Level 7

Jump to solution
That's too bad.  I'm new to Roku and have now purchased a number and I don't recall being given the option as to which buttons come with the remote.  I simply noticed they were different and thought, surly they can be changed ( even if it is flashed to the remote) seeing I have different preferences.  It is not a big deal, but a backdoor way to set these buttons could provide valuable information to Roku and the Channel providers.  A user making such a change would be an indication of "preferred" use.

Of course, if the agreement is for placement only and not increased usage, then set em and forget em.

Thank you.

- N
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 11

Jump to solution
"ncoppola" wrote:
That's too bad.  I'm new to Roku and have now purchased a number and I don't recall being given the option as to which buttons come with the remote.  I simply noticed they were different and thought, surly they can be changed ( even if it is flashed to the remote) seeing I have different preferences.  It is not a big deal, but a backdoor way to set these buttons could provide valuable information to Roku and the Channel providers.  A user making such a change would be an indication of "preferred" use.

Of course, if the agreement is for placement only and not increased usage, then set em and forget em.

Thank you.

- N

The different buttons depends on where it was purchased.  Walmart will have a Vudu button on it, Target will have something else in that spot, etc.
0 Kudos
OddBallMan
Level 7

Jump to solution

If it is an enhanced roku remote that is paired to the TV you can change the buttons function but the standard remote that does not have a pairing button in side the battery compartment is only what is programed from the factory.

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Thanks for the question here!

You cannot re-program a channel button on any Roku remote that has a channel name printed on it. 

The latest Roku Ultra (mdoel 4670) is sold with our latest Enhanced Voice Remote, which offers 2 personal shortcut buttons that can be programmed with any supported voice command, including 'Launch [insert channel name]'. See more here: https://www.roku.com/products/roku-ultra

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
ryngard
Level 8

Jump to solution

Just to chime in... it would be REALLY nice to allow us to pick and choose which apps to have in those button shortcuts. 

For instance, I use Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and YouTube the most. Having those as my four would be optimal. Instead, I have a remote where three out of the four apps have been discontinued... so they are completely USELESS to me. It'd be nice if you designed it so we could reprogram them and even swap out the button caps to match.

I've been thinking of picking up newer Roku models, and while the remote buttons aren't a big deal, it's a selling point to me and sort of frustrating.

Da1chozen
Level 7

Jump to solution
Why? I do not use espn and will never use it. What's the point of having quick buttons if you can't put them to things you use?
0 Kudos
ryngard
Level 8

Jump to solution

Yeah... that's my point... I would like to be able to customize them or at least pick them from a list and have them assigned when I purchase my Roku/remote. 

0 Kudos