Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Emissary35
Level 13

Roku Remote Low Battery Indicator (EXTREME ANNOYANCE!)

Jump to solution

There seriously needs to be an option created in the Roku settings to TURN OFF the extremely annoying and totally useless low battery message that keeps popping up in the upper right corner of the TV screen!

Once my battery level gets around 25% I start getting this annoying pop up randomly when pressing buttons, even though the batteries are fine and still will be for some time, I've been using the same batteries for a couple of weeks now since the message first started popping up and they are still working fine.

I am also getting conflicting reports because at first it says the battery level is low but then it says they are completely empty! When I go into the remote settings to check the battery level it says 0% remaining, then I back out and immediately go back into the setting again and now it's saying 9% power remaining for example. So this low battery message is completely inaccurate and a complete annoyance!

So I want to ask the people at Roku who designed this terrible annoyance into the firmware, telling it to continually pop up a low battery warning, if my batteries have been so low for the past couple of weeks how come NOT ONCE have any button presses failed to activate my Roku when pressed?

I want to turn this message off! I am not replacing my batteries just because my Roku keeps spamming my screen telling me that they are no good even though they have weeks of power left and every button press activates what it is supposed to just fine!

Once I start pressing buttons and nothing happens THEN I KNOW it's time to change the batteries! But until that happens I want Roku to STOP the annoying pop ups spamming my screen about my friggin' battery level! I've really had enough of this!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Roku Remote Low Battery Indicator (EXTREME ANNOYANCE!)

Jump to solution

@Emissary35 

Thanks for the post.

Please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About along with a summary of the issue you are experiencing. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
28 REPLIES 28\
Emissary35
Level 13

Jump to solution

It's five days later after my initial post on this topic, I am still continually being spammed on my screen with a bogus low battery warning even though the batteries are working just fine, not once have any button presses on the remote failed to activate the Roku in the way it was supposed to. I am beyond annoyed at this point and it speaks volumes that nobody at Roku will even address this issue of not being able to turn off the low battery warning popping up on the screen.

This has become such an annoyance for me that it is making me question whether or not I want to purchase anymore Roku products in the future. You geniuses that designed this warning into the app need to create an option to turn it off! My batteries are working fine, so leave me alone and let me enjoy my videos!

RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@Emissary35 

Thanks for the post.

Please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About along with a summary of the issue you are experiencing. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
PatrickMcTennis
Level 7

Jump to solution

It is absolutely annoying and apparently Roku doesn’t care.

TwoCollieTom
Level 8

Jump to solution

I am having the same problem and it is VERY annoying.   I use headsets with the ROKU remote, and have no problems several hours AFTER I get the announcement every few seconds that my battery is low.  Is there some way please to turn off that announcement or at least have it show up perhaps every five minutes rather than every 15 seconds.

I can't tell you how annoying this is and would really like some sort of resolution, perhaps in an upcoming software update.

Thank you.

Emissary35
Level 13

Jump to solution

This low battery warning that pops up on the TV screen is an ongoing annoyance that the people at Roku are purposely ignoring! The message starts showing up long before your batteries actually become useless, so you could be dealing with two weeks or more of a low battery warning spamming your screen while your button presses continue to activate all controls, how is this a good thing Roku? You guys that program the firmware need to STOP forcing this annoyance onto our screens without permission! There is already a section for Remotes in the Settings, so why won't Roku simply add a setting to enable/disable the low battery warning? Is this really too much to ask? Is this really beyond your capabilities? Or is it simply that you do not care?

Me and a lot of people like me are sick and tired of this, we don't need a message on our screens to tell us it's time to change the batteries, I will change them when I start pressing buttons and nothing happens! Whoever forced this into the Roku software doesn't have a clue about what a pleasant uninterrupted user experience is! Also the continued ignoring of this issue by Roku shows their total lack of care and respect to their customers! Just give us a way to shut this spamming low battery message off, that's all I ask!

BobbyLite
Level 7

Jump to solution

It has been a matter of months for me with this annoying pop up message at every. Single. Button. Pushed. I've scoured the settings and there's no option to turn this water drip torture of an indication off. At this point my roku has taken me hostage and has won because even though these batteries probably have more months of life in them I'm replacing them just so it will stop. If anybody has found a way to disable this please advise. 

drumhead954
Level 7

Jump to solution

Clearly,  Roku is being paid by battery manufacturers to try to create sales for them. As though anyone who's past walking age cannot figure out that "when remote doesn't work, remote needs batteries". Last Roku product I'll ever EVER own.

ruhrok
Level 7

Jump to solution

I just started having this issue and it's driving me nuts.. any way to escalate this?

RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@ruhrok

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide more information about the issue you are experiencing? What Roku model device are you using? Can you provide the serial number of your Roku device from Settings>System>About? I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos