Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cole3

Roku Remote Dies Extremely Fast

So I’ve tried different types of batteries and I’ve been mainly using Duracell because that’s what I recommends using. However Every time I put battery’s in it says the remote is low on batteries and dies a few minutes later so I have to swap out batteries. Has anyone every experienced this or know a fix or did I just get unlucky and get a bad remote.

22 REPLIES 22
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku Remote Dies Extremely Fast

Hi @Cole3,

Thank you for letting us know about the remote battery drain issue you are experiencing.

Have you tried running the steps on this link to get your remote back up and running? http://go.roku.com/remotehelp 

If you are still having any issues, please provide the serial number of your Roku device so we can assist further.

Regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

If this is a point-anywhere remote that controls the Roku via wifi-direct (as opposed to a direct line of site remote that controls via infrared) I've seen some indication that this can be caused by your router using a channel that is crowded with a bunch of nearby routers using the same channel.  Your remote has to work too hard constantly sorting through the information packets from all those other remotes and it uses up the batteries much too quickly. 

If you know how to access your router's setup, see if setting your router to use a different channel helps.  In the 2.4 GHz wifi band, channels 1, 6, and 11 often give the best performance as they do not overlap each other.  It can also help to set the router to use 20 kHz bandwidth instead of 40, to minimize interference from adjacent channels.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
toddsansom

I am on my second tv and remote and they both die per the original post.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hey @toddsansom

Thanks for the post.

If you're experiencing rapid battery drain on your Roku TV remote, please be advised that remotes for Roku TVs are manufactured directly by the TV manufacturer. We would recommend reaching out to the TV manufacturer's customer support team to report the issue and get help.

For a list of Roku TV manufacturers contact information, visit our Community post here: Contacting Support for Your Roku TV

We appreciate your understanding.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
emfollin
Channel Surfer

Has anyone tested the solution provided above about changing the router channel?  I am experiencing this issue and my remotes are the wifi remote, not infrared. 

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hi @emfollin

We're here to help!

Please reply here with the serial number of the Roku device associated with the affected remote. It can be viewed by navigating to Settings > System > About.

Once we have the information needed, we'll be able to forward it to our support team for further assistance.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
emfollin
Channel Surfer

Been there. Done that. Got a new remote, same issue.  I’m looking for actual solutions here. I tried switching my streaming sticks from 2.4ghz to 5ghz network to see if that changes anything. 

gbelle

I'm having the same issue - my remote is only four months old and is completely unresponsive.  The Serial Number is 21313F276406.  Can you please provide support?

RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hello @gbelle

Thanks for the post.

For clarification, are you experiencing remote battery drain or your remote just stopped working after 4 months? If it's the latter, we recommend you start with the troubleshooting steps provided in this Support article: How to resolve issues with your Roku® simple remote or Roku voice remote

Let us know if there's any difference after.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos