Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Roku Premiere setup with no remote?

Jump to solution

I bought my Roku Premiere from my friends daughter. Her old tv got broken by her kids or something and my friend, her dad, gave her his bedroom tv, which has roku built in. So she mentioned she now had 2 roku boxes that were pretty much useless. I asked if shed sell me one. She did. It's a Roku Premiere. I hooked it up and changed my tv's source input and it shows Roku on screen. Everything is working fine. However, my tv remote doesn't control the roku. After a few minutes the screen goes to a floating ROKU.

I went to the play store and found and installed the Roku remote, BUT, i seem to require wifi access already setup for the roku premiere.

Is there some way to set this up without the roku remote? Using just the roku android app? I'm going to find another android remote app to see if maybe the Premiere can be controlled with something like that but I figured that's what the Roku supplied Roku android app already did. Also, the android app I installed was the one made by Roku.

Any help would be appreciated, as well as any info regarding this issue.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Roku Premiere setup with no remote?

Jump to solution
Thanks for trying @Tivoburkee. I came here to answer my own question in case anyone else had the same trouble. You answer is, I'm sorry to say, wrong. Well, I guess I should say your answer is only mostly wrong. The Universal remote is fairly accurate. BUT you can get an android app universal remote app to do so. I tried RCoid and it has a few Roku profiles and the first one of those I tried(for a set top box) worked perfectly. Again, thank you for trying. I do appreciate the response and info. To anyone else who has a Roku Premiere and no remote. Try the Play store and look for RCoid. I used the the top set top box profile, there was one other, because it said something about HD and the info on Roku Premiere I found while searching for my solution says the Premiere is HD. Or something like that. Anyway, it works.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

Sorry but you're going to need a true remote initially before you can use an android app, to set the roku to the same wifi network and password as the phone.  You don't need a true roku remote, a cheap universal from the dollar store with roku listed would do just fine. 

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution
Thanks for trying @Tivoburkee. I came here to answer my own question in case anyone else had the same trouble. You answer is, I'm sorry to say, wrong. Well, I guess I should say your answer is only mostly wrong. The Universal remote is fairly accurate. BUT you can get an android app universal remote app to do so. I tried RCoid and it has a few Roku profiles and the first one of those I tried(for a set top box) worked perfectly. Again, thank you for trying. I do appreciate the response and info. To anyone else who has a Roku Premiere and no remote. Try the Play store and look for RCoid. I used the the top set top box profile, there was one other, because it said something about HD and the info on Roku Premiere I found while searching for my solution says the Premiere is HD. Or something like that. Anyway, it works.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

Not many people have IR built in to their cellphones. 

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

ahhh, I didn't even think about that. My phone is old. It's a Samsung Galaxy s4. My Samsung Galaxy s3 that I had before this phone could also use android IR remote apps. Maybe newer phones can't. I have a Visio tv. It doesn't have a remote. It got lost at some point in time. My phones IR blaster doesn't have great range but it does the trick.

0 Kudos