Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dean7
Level 7

Roku Premiere Remote Issues

Hi,

I'm having an issue with my Roku Premiere remote. At first I thought it had stopped working completely or needed new batteries (which I replaced) but it seems to only work now when extremely close to the Roku box. I thought maybe it might be my TV screen being too bright or something but the box doesn't react to the remote even when the TV is off. Has anyone experienced this?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
atc98092
Level 16

Re: Roku Premiere Remote Issues

Your remote operates via WiFi-Direct, not infrared. Most likely there is some new signal interfering within your home. The interference could be coming from a neighbor's home as well. Tough to troubleshoot. I believe there's a hidden Roku menu that allows for changing the channel the remote uses, but I'm not familiar with that specific menu, so can't say how to access it or what can be done once you have it open. Someone else should be able to reply here with the instructions. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Dean7
Level 7

?
The remote isn't wifi direct. I can see the beam coming out of it when I do the camera phone trick.
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

Yes, the Roku Premiere remote was IR. The Roku Premiere+ remote was WiFi Direct.

Being IR, it needs line of sight to work properly. There could be something wrong inside the remote that's causing it to not work properly. If that's the case, it's just a bad remote. Or it could have been damaged. The device was discontinued over 9 months ago, so unless you bought a second-hand device or some store sold you really old stock, you've had this device for some time.

Did this just start? Or have you had this issue for 10+ months?

Assuming all was well for months, and that you only recently started having this issue, you might want to check some things.

Ensure the front of the Roku is clean and free of dust and smudges. Same thing with the remote. And, of course, ensure the entire front of the Roku is visible to the remote, keeping in mind your eyes are probably at a higher level than your remote in your hand; just because your eyes see it doesn't mean your remote does.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Whoops, sorry. Yep, it's the plus model with Wi-Fi Direct. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Dean7
Level 7

Basil, you magnificent bastard! You saved me!

I have the device mounted on top of my slim TV and in order to keep it up there I put some electrical tape on it. A small portion of the front was blocked by the tape. I took it off and it's working again.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

Glad it's working.

One thing, perhaps something like this would help the balancing act you have going on? https://www.walmart.com/ip/ONN-Streaming-Box-TV-Mount/199220264

It's an in-store item only, but if you're local Walmart has one, you could see if it might be adjustable for the Premiere or the same-size Roku 4 or Ultra.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
0 Kudos
beq
Level 8

Heh I had an older relative call me couple of days ago about a remote problem too.  He had an Express+ sticky taped to the bezel of his analog TV for line of sight to the IR remote.

Turns out the box fell off and was obscured.
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

Yeah, those sticky tape things work well ... until they don't.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 11

3M Command strips.