Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hatteras1
Level 7

Roku Premier won’t turn TV power off

Roku premier on a JVC TV bought about 2014. TV came with Roku stick and it’s remote controlled that stick (but clumsy). I upgraded to Premier. All functions seem to work except I can not get the remote to power off the TV. System upgraded 12/5/20. I went to go.roku.com/cechelp and checked setting on TV and cec is enabled and it finds the Roku remote. But when I go to Home Screen on Roku and select TV off I get message that TV isn’t responding. When I had Amazon Fire Stick connected it did power off the TV. help!?!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Premier won’t turn TV power off

The premiere comes with IR remote, only wifi remotes have tv controls. Do you see tv power or volume keys on the roku remote? How are you to control a tv without them. You can buy separately wifi voice remote, once paired with the premiere can then by programmed to control your tv. 

And yes Fire stick allow host tv's to control it by hdmi-cec, no current roku allows it. Yours used mhl to do it, no roku allow use of the mhl inputs and its features, sorry. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Hatteras1
Level 7

On the Roku Home Screen there is a TV OFF selection, that leads one to think clicking it could turn off the TV. The home button turns it on, so the IR remote can control that TV function. 

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

There is absolutely one model non-tv roku IR remote that has preset hdmi-cec commands on board, it was released with Onn Roku Soundbar, I think that was greatest roku remote ever released. Smiley Happy And I sure wish it would replace the simple roku IR remote sold by Roku going forward. I owned one for about year before I sold it. It controlled roku's going back 10 years, and if the tv these old roku were attached to had hdmi-cec the tv controlls works too even though so old roku. These tv control on this remote are roku commands that never change, when the roku sees them it initiates hdmi cec signal sent over the hdmi cable to whatever brand of tv you own, because ALL brands of tv respond to the same cec commands. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos