Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SARCtech
Level 7

Roku Power + Volume remote on Roku Premier?

Greetings,

just got a roku streaming stick for my father-in-law and his remote has the abillity to control power and volume on his TV.  Is there a way to get this remote and use it with my Roku Premier device so that I can control power and volume for my TV and only have to use one remote?

TIA

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Roku Power + Volume remote on Roku Premier?

The Premiere remote is IR only. The Stick and the Premiere+ use WiFi Direct. The Stick remote you reference also has some IR capabilities, but I can't say for sure if it will control the Roku via IR. If you in fact have the Premiere+, then yes it should work. If your TV supports CEC, the volume control might still work. I control my Yamaha AVR with the volume buttons on my Ultra remote. 
My personal opinion, the Roku remote makes a poor TV remote because it doesn't have a numeric keypad for direct channel access. My Samsung TV remote is also lacking a num pad, but it can open one virtually onscreen. The Roku can't do that. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos

"atc98092" wrote:
The Stick remote you reference also has some IR capabilities, but I can't say for sure if it will control the Roku via IR.

It doesn't need to control the Roku via IR, because it would simply pair up to the Premiere as an Enhanced Remote. While the Premiere comes with a basic IR remote, it is fully capable of functioning with an RF remote.

To the OP, you didn't specify which Premiere you have. Is it the older 4620 model, or the newer 3920 model?

If it's the newer 3920 model, then the $20 Roku Voice Remote will accomplish what you want...the ability to control the Roku via RF, as well as the TV power/volume via IR. It's the second model down the accessories page.

If you have the older 4620 model, then you'll need the $30 Roku Enhanced Voice Remote, which is the fourth model down the page.

https://www.roku.com/accessories
0 Kudos
SARCtech
Level 7

I purched remote RC193 and it works perfectly with my 4620 Premier box.  Thank you all for the feedback.
0 Kudos