Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AmyBeth1210
Level 7

Roku IR remote buttons not working properly

PLEASE HELP!! I bought my Roku Premium about 2-3 months ago at Best Buy. I'm now having problems with when I use the remote buttons to scroll any direction it doesn't register until maybe the 5th-10th time. Then when it does register, it continues scrolling in that direction, never allowing me to make a selection. I've tried changing the batteries, standing directly in front of it trying different directions and even restarting it all as instructed. Nothing is working.  Also, now that I'm taking the time to write this, the screen flashes on/off here & there. If it sounds like the Roku isn't working right at all, should I be able to return it or exchange it? Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4\
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku IR remote buttons not working properly

Sounds like interference from another IR source, it dsoesn't have to be roku iR commands that interfere it can be any IR that might be bombarding it and effecting your remote. If you have another tv to just hook it up and see if change in the environment changes its behavior. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
AmyBeth1210
Level 7

It's me again, I found a way to manipulate the remote to choose the show I want, but now it keeps cutting in & out. AARRGH!!

0 Kudos
rdc5053
Level 7

I'm having the same problem, and it's not other remotes bombarding my unit causing this problem.

I bought a Roku Express in May 2020, it worked fine for a few months, then the FF & REW functions stopped working. (I think they did a software upgrade that created the problem). I spent hours going through the support pages but could not find any help resolving this problem, I couldn't figure out if it was the unit or the remote. So in November I bought another Roku Express and put it on a TV in my living room and it has the same problem as the original unit that's on a TV in my Rec room in the basement.

I owned a Roku 2 & Roku 3, and never ever had any issues with them. Now these Roku Express units are very disappointing.

I wish someone from Roku would contact me and either resolve these issues or refund me for these defective units. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@rdc5053 

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide us with more information about the issue you are experiencing? Are the FF and REW buttons not functioning on a specific channel or is this issue happening on all channels?

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos