Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Roku Express remote stopped working when prompted to install app

I bought a Roku Express for my parents today. Get it set up, everything's fine. Remote is working perfectly, no issue. Then it got to the "install the app" page. 

Remote IMMEDIATELY ceased functioning. There was no response at all from the remote, nothing happened until I installed the app on my phone, and then I could use that remote. 

I have tried unplugging the remote, taking out the batteries, and putting them back in when the home screen appears. I have tried new batteries. Nothing has helped, it will only respond to the phone remote.

This is not a good solution. I don't live here. I'm going to be deleting this app from my phone. I need the remote that came with the device to work or I'm returning it. 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Level 18

Re: Roku Express remote stopped working when prompted to install app

That's very strange since it's an IR remote that either works or doesn't.  Make sure you have a clear path to the front of the Express and you're pointing the remote right at it.  To check to see if the remote is working, point it at your phone's camera and press a button on the remote.  You should see a bright flash of light.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

No bright flash of light. This was after I put in fresh batteries, and it had definitely been working previously - like, five minutes previously. Bad remote?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@KayMack 

Thanks for the information.

We would recommend taking a look at the troubleshooting steps provided by our Support page here: How do I resolve problems with my Roku IR (infrared) remote?

If you are still unable to resolve the issue, please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos