Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kingkaitlyn56
Reel Rookie

Roku Express remote and wifi

Jump to solution

Hi Roku Community!

I recently moved to a new place and I do not have my Roku remote anymore. I was trying to set up the wifi but then realized I needed my remote to do so. If I were to purchase a new remote would I still be able to connect this new remote to my Roku Express device?

Also if I decided to use a different remote, is there a way to reprogram this remote to my Roku? My family member took my remote and reprogrammed it to her Roku device. If I got this remote back could I reprogram it another time to my Roku device? 

Let me know what you guys think my options are! I'd rather not spend the money for another Roku Remote unless it's my only option.

Thanks! 🙂

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Express remote and wifi

Jump to solution

Roku Express can be controlled by inexpensive infrared (IR) universal remotes available from discount stores, etc, as long as they say they can control Roku devices.  See the instructions for the remote to see how to configure it for Roku. (Don't buy a remote for ROKU TVs as they use a different set of IR commands.)

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
makaiguy

Jump to solution

Roku Express can be controlled by inexpensive infrared (IR) universal remotes available from discount stores, etc, as long as they say they can control Roku devices.  See the instructions for the remote to see how to configure it for Roku. (Don't buy a remote for ROKU TVs as they use a different set of IR commands.)

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

@kingkaitlyn56, if you get your remote back it will work.  Depending on the remote you may have to pair it to your Roku again.

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
kingkaitlyn56
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

My friend has an extra Roku remote laying around. If my Roku / TV is still not hooked up to wifi, can I still reprogram this remote to my Roku? 

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

Is the remote for a Roku TV (i.e., an actual TV) or for a stand-alone Roku device?  If it's for a stand-alone device it will either just work with your Express or it will have to be paired, not programmed.  Working Wi-Fi has nothing to do with getting a remote to work.

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos