Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mobbdeep
Level 7

Roku Express+ paired to another TV

I just bought a Roku Express+ today and when I hold the power off button on the remote, it's shutting off the Vizio TV that's next to the Roku box which is not the TV I want it programmed to as it's for my security system. The TV I use to watch everything on is a LG. I can control everything with the remote on the TV it's supposed to be paired to but it's also shutting off my other TV.

Any ideas on fixing this?

Thanks!
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Tivoburkee
Level 12

Re: Roku Express+ paired to another TV

Vizio and LG use the exact same IR code set, nothing can be done about that sorry. The current roku remotes that have tv commands, when paired to Roku console like express + or roku stick only control tvs by IR. If you take the same roku wifi remote and pair it to "Roku TV", then it control the tv power and volume controls via Wifi. To communicate with a Wifi remote there has to be RF circuitry in both the remote and tv, and it has to be on the same RF frequency.

0 Kudos
SpeakingGoat
Level 7

I have a similar problem with Roku express. The remote appears to have "paired" with my Echostar satellite receiver. Buttons on the roku remote do random things, but the worst of it is the echostar remote is now completely disabled rendering the receiver useless. I've seen a suggestion that I could reset the pairing command to be the same as roku, (and reprogram the echostar remote) but how do I do this?
0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Level 12

I can't see the roku and echostar using the same rf frequency, I can see it having IR conflict. Look through your cell phone camera as press a roku key on the roku remote do you se flashes, if so its set to IR and not RF.

I can't help with dish remote, I hade Directv for 16 years, was tech know guide in their forums for 10 ten years, anyways dish receivers have something like 16 IR addresses, check your manual on how to switch to a different IR address.

0 Kudos
SpeakingGoat
Level 7

Thanks for this.  Too techy for me! The work around is to use the app as the remote for the Roku - at last a purpose for one of those defunct mobile phones.  Factory resetting the echostar restored the connectivity to its remote (without losing recordings).  So everyone is happy now.

0 Kudos