Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Roku Express Remote not working

I bought a roku express and set it up in my kids room and it's been working for 2 months. The other day the remote stopped working. Replaced the battery. Unplugged the Roku. Plugged it back in. Remote still wouldn't work. Used my phone as a remote and it works fine. It's an IR remote so there is no pairing button to press. Googled it and watched video. Tried everything and still remote won't work. So I went on Amazon and bought a replace IR remote. It came today. The new remote won't work. Unplugged the Roku Express and plugged back in. Took batteries out and in. Used my phone roku app and went to settings and tried to "pair" device through settings and it searched (like it did a few days ago) and comes back and says it can't find any device. Did a factor reset of the Roku express. Unplugged everything and put wires back and plugged it in and still the device doesn't work. Then I couldn't use my phone app any longer as the remote since I had done a factory reset. Then I noticed that on the Roku express, that there is a reset button and I tried to reset the roku device by putting a paper clip end in there but I'm not sure it did a reset. But still I can't set up the device because no remote will work with it. If my roku express stopped working after only 2 months than that seems a bit ridiculous. Are there any other suggestions for what I might do to try to get the Roku express and the remote to talk? 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: Roku Express not working

You can check whether an IR remote is sending out a signal by pointing it at your phone's camera and pressing a button.  You should see a flash of light.  You don't mention which remote you bought.  Does it have a pairing button in the battery compartment?  If not, it's also IR.

Since you factory reset it you will need a working remote to get it connected to the network.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

My remote is an IR remote which came with the Roku Express. I have changed the batteries and still it would not work. So I went onto Amazon and bought a new remote which I got today and still it does not work as explained in my initial comment. Hence I did a factory reset. I don't think the problem is my remote. Two brand new IR remotes would not be dead. I also tried a third remote from another working Roku in another bedroom and that would not work either. I believe the issue is my Roku express device, not the remote but I can't install it now because no remotes work with it. Very frustrated. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@KristiF 

Thanks for the post.

Please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number on the Roku device along with a summary of the issue you are experiencing. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

To do factory reset it has to powered, then press and hold the reset button for over 30 seconds. 

Edmund
0 Kudos