Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Zoemafprincess
Level 7

Roku Express Remote not working to set up

Just bought a Roku Express and attempted to set it up but remote isn't working...brand new batteries and all... Is there any other way I can set it up for the first time without remote? 

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4\
boogernose
Level 18

Re: Roku Express Remote not working to set up

No. the remote should be working please follow the steps.

https://community.roku.com/t5/Remotes-Accessories/Remote-Pairing-and-Troubleshooting-Help/m-p/514414...

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
Rowkoo_Hater
Level 7

I've got identical problem with brand new Roku Express. Right out of the box, Roku receiver doesn't respond to any keys on the remote (basic, NON-voice). I've REPEATEDLY rebooted (unplugged) and reinserted batteries (I've verified batteries are good with battery tester). I've done the factory reset with the pinhole in the back of the receiver SEVERAL TIMES, then reinstalled batteries in remote, in that order, which is supposed to reset the remote. All I keep getting is the "Let's Get Started!" screen on my TV asking for language selection -- so yeah, the power and HDMI cables obviously work but the **bleep** remote DOESN'T DO A FRIGGIN THING!!!! WHAT A PIECE OF **bleep** THIS IS!!!!!!

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Sounds like you got a bad device. It happens. Not often, but it does. Sometimes things are bad right out of the box.

I've purchased over 30 Roku devices over the years for self and family, and did have one that went bad within a year, but I've never had one bad out of the box. But, like I said, it can happen.

Return it and get another. Or go with a different brand. Chromecast with Google TV is good. Apple TV is good. Some people like Amazon Fire TV, but I think they are underpowered and don't last nearly as long. I've tried the TiVo Stream. It's okay, on par with Amazon's Firestick, which isn't saying much. My personal preference is Roku, but there are plenty of options if you don't want to use Roku.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
Note: I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@Rowkoo_Hater, keep in mind that the remote must have a clear line of sight to the front of the Express.  You can verify if the remote is working by pointing it at a digital camera like the one in your phone and pressing a button on the remote.  You should see a flash of light on the camera's screen.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos