Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku Express Remote doesn't work

Jump to solution

Hello @robynp8870

I hope you're doing well.

Have you tried all the possible troubleshooting steps available in this Support link: How to resolve issues with your Roku® simple remote or Roku voice remote? If so and the issue persists, please reply here with the serial number of the Roku device associated with the affected remote. It can be found at the back or underneath the player itself.

Keep us posted!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Gargoyle17
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Another device same issue.

Roku Express HD used since Feb, remote suddenly stopped working today - worked fine to begin with then stopped working while using the Roku.

Have tried the advice on the troubleshooting, not working. Device reset, new batteries (which work in another device). As far as I can see no IR visible using phone camera.

Thanks

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Gargoyle17 wrote:

... Roku Express ... remote suddenly stopped working ... As far as I can see no IR visible using phone camera.

If you do not see any lights when you are looking at the end of the IR remote with your cell phone camera, that means the remote is not putting out IR signals. Either the batteries are bad, or the remote itself is bad.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Gargoyle17
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@DBDukes wrote:

@Gargoyle17 wrote:

... Roku Express ... remote suddenly stopped working ... As far as I can see no IR visible using phone camera.

If you do not see any lights when you are looking at the end of the IR remote with your cell phone camera, that means the remote is not putting out IR signals. Either the batteries are bad, or the remote itself is bad.

As noted batteries are new and checked working in another device. Assume the remote has stopped working, which is why I posted in the support forum as the only way to get assistance from Roku. Seems from other support requests that this is not an uncommon issue...

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@Gargoyle17 

The device is under warranty, as it's only since February. You could try a warranty replacement but I think you have to pay shipping. You may want to actually start the process before you know for certain. But if so, be aware that a new Simple Remote is $15 and you can get that today at Walmart.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@Gargoyle17 wrote:

As noted batteries are new and checked working in another device. 

Please forgive the obvious question, but I do need to ask. Different Roku remotes insert the batteries differently. Some have them facing in opposite directions when inserted correctly, while some take the batteries facing the same way. Just make sure you have put the batteries in correctly, then test for the IR flashes in a digital camera again. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Gargoyle17
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@atc98092 wrote:

@Gargoyle17 wrote:

As noted batteries are new and checked working in another device. 

Just make sure you have put the batteries in correctly, . 

Definitely in the right way, but a good thing for others to check as I did notice they were side by side rather than top and tail like we often expect them to be.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

If there's no light visible through a digital camera when pressing a button on the remote, then the remote has failed. You can get a warranty replacement as @DBDukes mentioned, go into a store that sells Roku devices and possibly buy a new Roku remote, or (for the least cost and fastest resolution) you could find an inexpensive generic IR remote that supports Roku players. When I looked in my local store that sells electronics, they have several universal IR remotes under $10 that list Roku player support. 

If your Roku is still connected to the network, you can use the Roku app on a phone or tablet as a workaround. But if you did a device reset as you mentioned (by that I mean a factory reset), then you have to have a remote to complete the initial setup. The universal IR remote will work for that, it doesn't have to be a Roku remote.

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Gargoyle17
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I'm in the UK so will need to look into it.

Still no response from Roku staff though which is disappointing given this is the only route to contact. 

0 Kudos
lottie2

Jump to solution

We just installed a smart TV on our wall. The Roku stick is now in a crevis portion in the wall in back of the TV. The remote works some of the time, but is slow reacting most other times.

What can be done. is it due to the hidden stick behind the tv?

Thanks,

John

0 Kudos