Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kshann
Reel Rookie

Roku Express Remote doesn't work

Jump to solution

I bought a Roku Express plus in May and the remote now doesn’t work period.  I press it and get nothing - not home, no options whatsoever. I tried to unplug the TV and the Roku. I replaced the batteries twice with new batteries, I did all I could following community guidance and videos.  Quite frustrating given the express pretty new and has only been used 20 times or so.  Fortunately I can access on my phone but others in my household can’t access any of our services (Hulu, Amazon, NetFlix, Apple).  Please help.  I sure do wish I could get some customer service - see nothing is avaialable via phone, chat or email.  URGH.  Help please.  

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku Express Remote doesn't work

Jump to solution

@Kshann 

Thanks for the inquiry.

We would recommend taking a look at the troubleshooting steps provided by our Support page here: How do I resolve problems with my Roku IR (infrared) remote?

If you are still unable to resolve the issue, please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About along with a summary of the issue you are experiencing. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
35 REPLIES 35
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Kshann 

Thanks for the inquiry.

We would recommend taking a look at the troubleshooting steps provided by our Support page here: How do I resolve problems with my Roku IR (infrared) remote?

If you are still unable to resolve the issue, please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About along with a summary of the issue you are experiencing. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Kshann
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have gone through all troubleshooting tips and my new Roku express remote does not work at all. Need help. I have spent much time on videos and turning on and off, changing batteries, unplugging/removing Roku, etc. bought in May. 

0 Kudos
Dbell

Jump to solution

I just bought my 4K streaming stick headphone edition on July 16, 2020 and today is the 29th and my remote stopped working. It wouldn’t perform any function and I couldn’t stop it from playing even when I changed the input to TV and went back to ROKU. What I was playing was still playing it wouldn’t stop the program at all usually it would go back to home but not this time. It seems the problem comes when I try to use the ear phones but this is the very reason I purchased this one. I’ve heard the two previous model sticks and wanted the headphone addition as not to disturb others.
I was just about to take it back to Best Buy for an exchange when I used my phone, I took out the batteries in the remote, put the same batteries back in and went to Settings, System and System restart and now the actual remote works so maybe try that. However I’m fearful that this will keep happening and it shouldn’t!!!  Roku needs to fix this problem and replace everyone’s remote because clearly there’s a glitch.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Kshann 

Thanks for the post.

Please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number on the Roku device along with a summary of the issue you are experiencing and the troubleshooting steps that you have tried. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Tcober65

Jump to solution

I’m having the same thing happen I just bought Roku express and went through the troubleshooting process and no go 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Tcober65 

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide more information regarding the issue you are experiencing? What exact issue are you seeing and what specific troubleshooting steps have you tried to resolve the issue?

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Kshann
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I still have no working Roku remote. Been a week and was asked to PM to Danny. Danny, need help and am quite frustrated. I have tried the troubleshooting obvious solutions - batteries, unplug Roku stock, unplug tv. The stick doesn’t turn to my home button so can’t watch anything with it. 

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Go to target get a cheap philips universal remote with roku listed. Or even the dollar store. Express takes IR remotes so it doesn't have to be a true roku remote. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Jddrinker
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I've had pretty good luck using the Roku app on my phone those times when my regular remote wouldn't work. Not a solution, but allowed me to access some functions while troubleshooting.

0 Kudos