Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Y-Dude

Roku Express 4K+ : Remote Draining Batteries Daily

Hi Roku Community,

Two days ago I replaced a Roku 3 with a new Roku Express 4K+ - primarily for AirPlay, secondarily to reward Roku for the awesome Roku 3.

However, the remote drains the batteries. Day 2 saw the Duracell OEM batteries dead. I switched to high quality rechargeable Panasonic batteries and must change them daily.

This is ridiculous - how can I get this fixed? 
Roku Express 4K+ model 3941X - software version 10.0.1 build 4153-CR - Voice Remote RC608 - firmware rtn.4106.

7 REPLIES 7
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku Express 4K+ : Remote Draining Batteries Daily

@Y-Dude

Thanks for the post and providing us with your information.

I have passed along your concerns and details to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
ed652gray

Same problem with the battery drain.  I also noted that the mute button and vol + - are non functional and after the side switches stopped working, the battery drain started in earnest.  Suggest your technical group looks into defective switches or grounding.  

Since I only bought it within the last six months, can I get another remote in exchange or does it come with the Arkansas 2/2 Warranty.  If it breaks in half, both halves are yours.  ONLY KIDDING 

[personal information removed]

0 Kudos
Dabs
Channel Surfer

Having same issue with batteries draining in a couple days. Have tried all the ideas listed & still have same issue. 

Bought unit August 2021, didn't seem to have this issue initially which leads me to believe it has something to do with the updates.

Help please .. 

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Dabs,

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku community!

If the issue is not resolved with the Roku remote battery drain issue, kindly provide the serial number/device ID on your Roku device?

Please keep us posted to assist you further from there.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Dabs,

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku community!

If the issue is not resolved with the Roku remote battery drain issue, kindly provide the serial number/device ID on your Roku device?

Please keep us posted to assist you further from there.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos

I've always been a huge fan of Roku products but I am falling off that train, if you know what I mean.

I currently own 2 Roku devices, a Roku Express 4K+, bought for my daughter, The remote that came with it hasn't been in use for many months.  After about 6 months, and just as many battery changes, the remote just stopped working. Spent a day trying every troubleshooting method recommended to no avail. Since I'm a busy man I wrote that one off as "Kids are hard on things", pulled out a universal remote and got that working for her, not as good, no voice control, but solved.

My other Roku is a 3810X Roku streaming stick+, I may have had this one for a whole year, I'm bad with timeframes these days, and it is a battery EATER! Was fine for the first six months or so, and it's like something changed The first time the batteries died, then even high end batteries lasted only a week, then a few days.

As I type this I've kept an eye on the "About" screen in "Remote Settings", And I've watched the new batteries I put in an hour ago slowly drop from 72% (when I checked because I thought that was already very low for new batteries), to 34%. We're talking a time period of 30-40 minutes here people.

Fun Extra Effect: My remote also now stops working after 2-3 minutes of not using it, I'm still watching the battery drain, now 32%, but can only use my remote by resetting it via batteries out then back in. Every single time I set it down for more than a minute...

Before anyone asks I've tried multiple types, sets, and brands of batteries, cheap brands don't even power it on anymore, but the effects seem the same, dead by morning.

So that's 2 Rokus, 2 failed remotes.

I am not happy Roku, your devices still work and work fine, and for that I want to support you, but I specifically got these devices for the voice remote capability, and now I feel completely Jipped because 2 out of 2 of my Roku Voice remotes have lasted for what I'd easily call less than a year of use, and in one case less than 6 months.

Edit: 27% by the time I hit post.

I'm legit about to put in a fresh set of batteries and will record a time-lapse video of them draining in an hour, while the remote sits unused. Will try to remember to edit this post with a link once I upload.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Dannytheirish,

Welcome to the Roku Community and we appreciate you for reaching us.

Can you please provide the serial number of your Roku device from Settings>System>About? I'll be able to pass it along to our Support team who can assist you further.

We look forward to hearing from you and assisting you with your needs. Thank you!

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos