Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mister_Krabs
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku Enhanced Remote no longer controls Sceptre tv volume and power

Same here, Scepter 55".  The remote was working perfectly for the Roku and the TV, then stopped.  I changed the batteries and tried re-pairing.  Now the remote works for the roku, but not the TV.  I go through the pairing process, but the music never stops playing.  I tried the Sony ones too.

I'm having a hard time believing that this was not a software update that stopped supporting my TV.

_JOHN_
Streaming Star

Yeah, I feel because we don’t have fancy tv’s we are like in steerage on the titanic, nobody over there gives a **bleep**. But if I had an expensive Sony or Samsung, well they got you covered from the first remote ever made!

🚢🥺😥

Debby2
Reel Rookie

Yes I have the same exact tv. My Roku did automatically update and right after the remote quit working for the tv. Same issue when trying to pair again. I found this topic on google. With no answer from Roku. Except the one that was useless. I do believe we all was smart enough to do before looking for answers. So I guess we all have to wait for a new update to fix this. If they decide to make one.

_JOHN_
Streaming Star

aye, hold yer breath we’re going down with the ship I fear.

Mister_Krabs
Channel Surfer

This kind of thing happens via a software update with unexpected unwanted behaviors.  They must not be testing our totally awesome walmart special sceptre TV's back at the lab.  It won't get fixed unless a bunch of people complain, or maybe if it catches the eye of @RokuDanny-R and he opens a ticket to have it looked at.

Tags (3)
_JOHN_
Streaming Star

In these days of "woke" and "cancel culture" I'm feeling a little vulnerable owning my Sceptre tv and talking about it... perhaps a little shame that it cost me so little.... perhaps it's too much to ask... or but a dream that it will work with my expensive ROKU Ultra?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

I'll tag @Tivoburkee here to see if he can provide any insight as he's our resident remote expert.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
_JOHN_
Streaming Star

That would be great, thanks!

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

When a remote doesn't have the proper code for sceptra brand of tv, if you're lucky you can use the sony tv code. But if move the goalpost to where neither the sceptra or sony codes work any longer, there isn't anything to do until it get fixed via software update. Its not that they're targeting sceptra here, there is dozen threads dealing with roku remote not controlling a sony tv any longer! 

The only thing you might do if your tv accepts hdmi-cec commands, is to go into the secret remote menu switch roku remote from IR to cec. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
_JOHN_
Streaming Star

Maybe this one will get something done.

0 Kudos