Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Roku Charger

I'm a little confused about the new Roku Streaming Stick + charger.  It looks like it plugs directly into the TV to get power, as well as needing to plug into the HDMI port?  If your TV doesn't have this additional power port, does it also come with a wall charger to provide power?  Is it still a Microusb charger like the older models?

I know a lot of hotel TVs have very limited ports that are often hard to reach, and I use my Roku a lot when traveling so I'm concerned about this.  I want to make sure I can also plug in the new Streaming Stick+ model into the wall.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: Roku Charger

Unlike other roku sticks the preferred way to power stick+ is be wall outlet and not the tv usb port. The stick+ has mini-usb port and not micro-usb port, you attach the included wifi antenna cable directly to the stick+, then usb extender to wall wart, which plugs in to the wall outlet.

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

@kikioak wrote:

I'm a little confused about the new Roku Streaming Stick + charger.  It looks like it plugs directly into the TV to get power, as well as needing to plug into the HDMI port?  If your TV doesn't have this additional power port, does it also come with a wall charger to provide power?  Is it still a Microusb charger like the older models?

I know a lot of hotel TVs have very limited ports that are often hard to reach, and I use my Roku a lot when traveling so I'm concerned about this.  I want to make sure I can also plug in the new Streaming Stick+ model into the wall.

The Sticks have always had the ability to connect to a nearby USB port for power. I was under the impression that (at least in the US) that they all still come with a wall plug. I use my Stick in hotels often myself, and have found that not all hotel TVs offer enough power on their USB port (assuming they have one) and I still have to use the wall plug. What I do is carry a shorter HDMI cable with me so the Stick doesn't have to be plugged directly into the TV's HDMI port, so I can reach a wall socket with the power cord. 

According to the US Roku web site, the Stick+ comes with the wall power adapter. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Okay thanks.  And the stick + comes with all those extenders and plugs?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

@kikioak wrote:

Okay thanks.  And the stick + comes with all those extenders and plugs?

Comes with the power wall plug. Does not come with an HDMI extension cable. I bought my own, because I wanted one at least 3' long. Roku will send you a free extension cable if requested, but it's only about a foot or so. I wanted more length. I just bought a standard 3' HDMI cable and also bought a female/female adapter, since the cable has male connectors on both ends. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

The 3810 stick+ most definitely comes with usb extender, it does not come with a hdmi extender. 3810 has 3 ft wifi antenna and 3ft usb extender, which together comes to about the same length as the standard usb cable included with other roku stick models.

Edmund
0 Kudos