Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roku Channel Launching by Itself

Jump to solution

Hi, I've owned my Roku Express for a couple months now after replacing my old streaming stick, and recently it's started to constantly ask if I'm sure I want to open the roku channel while I'm watching Netflix or youtube, and just opening the roku channel while browsing the home page or when i first turn on my tv. I suspect it has to do with the Roku Channel button on the remote, since taking out the remote's batteries stops it from happening, but putting them back in causes it to continue. I have checked to make sure the button doesn't appear stuck, and honestly I don't think the button has ever been used. I generally just use the home menu to select channels, even for the ones on the remote. Is there a way to fix this or would replacing the remote be the only solution? Thanks in advance for any help you can give 🙂

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Channel Launching by Itself

Jump to solution

@Satanic_Hobo 

Here's the think about replacing the remote. All the remotes have shortcut buttons. Yours apparently has a button for The Roku Channel. If you bought a replacement remote from Roku ($15) it will have four buttons for four apps. If it's an accidental press, that will continue, with whatever app is in the same place on the replacement remote. If you are absolutely certain there is no accidental button press, then yes, a new remote will likely resolve the issue.

The issue might also be resolved by cleaning that remote. If it's a bad button, it could be on account of dust or dirt causing the contact to engage. Blowing it out with compressed air may solve the issue, if it's a dirty button underneath.

And, of course, a cheap universal remote that supports Roku. They're as cheap as $5-$10 from Walmart, Best Buy, Family Dollar, etc.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Satanic_Hobo 

Here's the think about replacing the remote. All the remotes have shortcut buttons. Yours apparently has a button for The Roku Channel. If you bought a replacement remote from Roku ($15) it will have four buttons for four apps. If it's an accidental press, that will continue, with whatever app is in the same place on the replacement remote. If you are absolutely certain there is no accidental button press, then yes, a new remote will likely resolve the issue.

The issue might also be resolved by cleaning that remote. If it's a bad button, it could be on account of dust or dirt causing the contact to engage. Blowing it out with compressed air may solve the issue, if it's a dirty button underneath.

And, of course, a cheap universal remote that supports Roku. They're as cheap as $5-$10 from Walmart, Best Buy, Family Dollar, etc.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

Jump to solution

Thank you very much! For some reason it hadn't occurred to me to try cleaning out the remote, and luckily enough i had a can of compressed air left over from cleaning my computer recently. A quick few sprays seems to have cleaned it out and the remote seems to be working just fine for now. 

0 Kudos