Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GaryN
Level 7

Roku 4 (4400x) and universal remote with IR

Jump to solution

I have a Roku 4400 and an Xbox connected to my basement TV. I have a Harmony 900 universal IR remote that I want to use to control all 3, but can't get the 4400x to respond to the 900. The Roku works perfectly with the Roku remote. Wiki says the 4400x will work with IR of Wifi direct. I think the Roku remote is Wifi direct, so how do I get the 4400x to respond to the IR signal? I know the IR is working because the TV and the Xbox both respond as expected to the 900, only the 4400x does not. How do I get the 4400x to respond to the IR signal?It is not a line of sight issue, I can point the 900 directly at or from above the 4400x from any where from a few inches to a few feet away and nothing happens.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku 4 (4400x) and universal remote with IR

Jump to solution

If it works on the 4640 but not 4400, yes sounds like the roku 4 IR  is defective. If your ultra had remote with tv controls, you could have unplugged the ultra and its remote would have changed to IR commands for roku, and you would have second remote to test the 4400. That only works with roku remotes rcal2 or rcal4. Its not worth it to repair it, time for new roku!!!

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5\
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

The Roku 4 responds to IR at all times, you can't turn it off. I say what's in question is the roku commands coming from the Harmony. I have 13000 posts at remote central, I wouldn't touch a harmony with ten foot pole.

Edmund

0 Kudos
GaryN
Level 7

Jump to solution

Is there any way to test the IR commands from the harmony? They work on everything but the Roku, the TV goes to the required input and the TV and Xbox both respond to the harmony. If not, what remote can I use that will set the TV to the required input and control the TV, Roku and Xbox? Harmony is the only thing I'm familiar with, but always open to suggestions.

0 Kudos
GaryN
Level 7

Jump to solution

I realized I could test the harmony by adding my Roku Ultra (4640) to the device list and discovered that the 4640 responded to the harmony with no problems. Is the IR function on my 4400 defective? Is it reparable? Any ideas on a way to test the 4400?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

If it works on the 4640 but not 4400, yes sounds like the roku 4 IR  is defective. If your ultra had remote with tv controls, you could have unplugged the ultra and its remote would have changed to IR commands for roku, and you would have second remote to test the 4400. That only works with roku remotes rcal2 or rcal4. Its not worth it to repair it, time for new roku!!!

Edmund

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
GaryN
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thanks for your help on this! I was really stumped and thought there was a setting on the 4400X that I missed or something! I'll be watching for a Black Friday deal on an ultra. Thanks!

Gary

0 Kudos