Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Roku 3 won't respond to remote

I have a Roku 3. The player does not respond to the remote. I have tried a hard reset and the remote does pair. I am able to set up the wireless connection. When it checks the resolution of the TV, It will not allow me to click OK to allow the player to check the resolution.

If I setup with a wired connection then everything works. Then if I switch to the wireless connection it connects and then the player stops responding to the remote. If I switch back to wired connection using the Roku phone app, the remote does not work. The settings show that the remote is paired.

I have tried a another Roku 3 that I had in storage and the same thing happens. Originally everything worked until I updated the player software.

How do I fix this. I have tried: a hard reset multiple times, a soft reset by unplugging the device, setting it up as wired then changing to wireless in settings.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: Roku 3 won't respond to remote

So you have two Roku 3's but one Wifi remote, and it doesn't connect to either? Bad remote, replace with new wifi remote or go cheap and switch to an IR remote, like cheap universal remote, most these days have roku IR code in them.

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Why does it work if I use a wired connection but stops working if I use a wireless connection?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

@phughes200  Thanks for the note here. It's possible that wireless interference may be playing a part. Try changing the wireless broadcast channel on your wireless router to something different and see if this resolves the issue. 

Also, try to ensure that your wireless router is broadcasting a 5GHz wireless network. This can typically help improve connections in some cases. Keep us posted from there! 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Thank you. This setup has been working flawlessly for years. After trying multiple times to set this up , I tried changing the HDMI cable which fixed the problem. The new cable is routed the same way. Not sure what the issue was but it works. Very odd that originally the remote worked for the wired connection and then won't when I switch to wireless. Yet the phone app worked. Who knows.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

today the problem reoccurred. Do I need a new remote or player?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

@phughes200 Thanks for the updates. It's hard to say in this scenario. The cost of some of our newer players is close to that of some replacement remote models, so I might suggest just purchasing a new device. Feel free to send me a private message with your Roku account email address, and the serial number of your current device from Settings>System>About. I'll continue assisting you directly. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos