Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JustStacey
Level 7

Re: Roku 3 remote won't stop blinking

Jump to solution
I know it's been a year since the threads been active but I registered to say big thanks! This was the only think that got my remote to work and I went through all the troubleshooting that Roku advises but as soon as I turned off wifi the remote pairing window popped up and connected , I didn't even have time to restart it .
0 Kudos
FinkFink
Level 7

Jump to solution
Only just had this problem of the light on the remote blinking all the time and there being no communication with the Roku itself. 

In my case I had a month or three ago connected the Roku via wired connection and a couple of times since then I had had to completely reset the whole thing, i.e. paper clip used to reset it and enter all details again, enter codes etc.  After this first complete reset it worked for a few days then started the blinking business again.  I have to admit at this point that I don't do the recommended thing of leaving the Roku powered all the time and I do remove the batteries from the remote as they last more than the few weeks if left in all the time.  This second time recently it just paired again sometime in a sequence of powering one or the other off and hitting the pairing button in the remote.

The last failure was when I found this post, when no amount of resets worked and I didn't want to go through the complete reset rigmarole again. At the same time as turning my WiFi off I put the remote within a few inches of the Roku and by the time I returned from poking the WiFi it had connected again.

No doubt it will happen again, but then I will simply resort to using the TV to connect directly to the one streaming channel I watch as the TV remote has a button to connect to Amazon. 

The point of all this?    I have about four or five neighbours WiFi signals that are as strong as mine, and so I don't see what difference turning mine off, which also isn't particularly close to the Roku anyway would make.   If I used a WiFi connection to the Roku then there may be some logic to this technique, but I suspect placing the remote right next to the Roku when pairing would work with WiFi on. 
0 Kudos
FinkFink
Level 7

Jump to solution
The above didn't work next time, i.e. WiFi off and remote close to Roku 3. 

Situation. Roku 3 with a wired connection.
Pairing fails every time either Roku 3 or remote is powered off/on  or batteries removed/refitted.  

A.  The "turn of WiFi"  has not worked again, but as previously other peoples WiFi is very close and transmitting on the same 2.4GHz channel  (usually 11) (lots of posts on this and Roku upping the power above the local WiFi)  

B.  What has worked (except when the remote light is flashing all the time) is removing the wired Ethernet connection, powering Roku 3 off/on then after a few minutes connecting the Ethernet cable. Not touching the remote !  which does not have the green light blinking. 

C.  As "B" Pairing sometimes works BEFORE connecting the Ethernet. 

What also works to prevent the remote flashing  (blinking) ALL THE TIME as soon as  the batteries are fitted is the PRESS A & B & pairing button as suggested earlier in this post.

If anything things got worse after changing from WiFi to the permanently wired connection. 

The remote blinking all the time as soon as batteries fitted seems to be the signal (sorry for pun) that pairing will never work, regardless of WiFi on or off, Roku 3 powered on/off or wired Ethernet connected or not, or the sequence of connect Ethernet before or after batteries in remote or powering Roku 3. 

Fix for wired connection seems to be (ignore if WiFi is on or off) , stop remote blinking, removing wired Ethernet, reset Roku 3, then try connecting Ethernet then remote batteries or the other way round. 

-------------

Having been on live CHAT about the above their solution was "The remote needs replacing"  then when I disproved that, that the Roku 3 needed replacing.  Neither is true as after one of the above it all works.  I suspect they work from a set script (Memories of both IBM and American Express having the same help desk and the op just working through a set script) 
How things are escalated to techies who actually know how things work (other than here?)  who knows. 

My view is that the somewhat complex "Direct WiFi" is a problem.   Direct WiFi is the Roku 3 acting the same as your home router transmitting a WiFi signal (how the remote works not using line-of-sight like an IR remote) but this WiFi is partially hidden in that the SSID isn't broadcast AND significantly it does not come on again after the Roku 3 is powered off/on (observed with a WiFi sniffer) Not coming on again means it will never "pair".

So........... one of the many tricks WiFi off, removing wired Ethernet wire, stopping the remote blinking all the time or any combination may work.

The real problem either the basic technique or the Roku 3 (etc. firmware) 

There are posts on the secret wireless menu........... just too complex to be messed with. 
kolia77
Level 7

Jump to solution
You Da Man!!! That did it!!! I've spend countless hours trying to get the darn remote to sync to no avail. Was getting by using the app but not the same. Thank youuuuu!!!!!
0 Kudos
Debbies
Level 7

Jump to solution
"PierceLilholt" wrote:
If you have the mobile app on your phone, use your phone to navigate on the left hand column to:  SETTINGS  >  REMOTE  >  PAIR REMOTE and then follow the instructions listed on the remote pairing page. I was experiencing the same problem, and this solved it. Here is a link to the Roku Remote App For Android which I used to solve the problem: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.roku.remote&hl=en_US

This is what FINALLY worked for me. THANK YOU!!!
0 Kudos
pmerced
Level 7

Jump to solution
"RunningMan" wrote:
If your remote won't pair, try turning off your WiFi while you pair it. The remote uses WiFi frequencies and suffers from interference from the Wifi. I have to do this every time I go through the pairing process, but it does work every time.

Thank you so much! It works for me too, problem solved.
0 Kudos
Mrust1974
Level 7

Jump to solution
Turning off WiFi did help me finally pair my remote BUT as soon as WiFi turned back on the remote stopped working! Any help would be appreciated. I’m so frustrated.
0 Kudos
pavsid
Level 7

Jump to solution
Disconnecting Ethernet worked for my flashing green light issue. Had to restart Roku, then put batteries in remote, and it automatically paired without having to press pair button
0 Kudos
Augman
Level 7

Jump to solution
Or you can try a simple system restart.
That fixed it for me.
0 Kudos
Jordanjo0421
Level 7

Jump to solution

This worked!  Had the flashing green light.  Went to settings, changed setting of wifi to wired. It rebooted and when it came back up it said it paired!  Went to setting and put it back to wifi.  

THANKS!

0 Kudos