Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pansy
Level 8

Roku 3 remote does not let me control volume

Hi all,
I have a blessedly trouble-free Roku 3, and I just realized that there are volume control buttons on the side of my remote*.

I went to Settings --> Remote --> Set up remote for TV control, but it says "The current remote does not support TV control." (But I think it does!)

I tried re-pairing, thinking that it might not know which remote I have, but got the same results.
Any ideas for me? TIA, Pansy

*Remote has A and B buttons, and the 4 shortcut buttons are for Netflix, Amazon, rdio, and Hulu. There are two buttons on the right side that are supposed to control volume.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
jeffrok
Level 12

Re: Roku 3 remote does not let me control volume

The Roku 3 remote volume keys are for headphone volume only, not tv.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

I don't have a 3, but my 4 and Ultra will control volume if you use CEC, which Roku labels One Touch Play. If your TV/AVR supports CEC, then the remote volume buttons will work. But as Jeff said, it isn't capable of controlling your TV via IR.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
ghb51
Level 9

My Roku 3 volume buttons will control my Sceptre tv, but not my Samsung, my Samsung does work with one touch though, any button press will power it on and take it to the Roku input, so it just seems to depend on the tv.

edit - just checked on my sceptre and my roku 3 also has the "current remote does not support TV control" message even though one touch works fine and the remote volume buttons control the sceptre's volume
0 Kudos
griff0417
Level 8

atc98092,

I am currently trying to debug an issue where a recently purchased roku ultra will no longer control TV vol (only TV vol is not working, pwr is fine). I found this part of your post interesting:
"Ultra will control volume if you use CEC"

I can see with my phone camera that there is something being sent out via ir when I use the volume rocker but no response from TV. The roku however shows headphone volume symbol unadjustable at 100%. It is interesting that there would be any ir activity at all if it was only allowing control over hdmi-cec. Any thoughts? Going through the remote setup process does not seem to help as well. This use case I am trying to debug is how I used this think for over a month. Just stopped all of a sudden.

Also, another thing I noticed regarding cec (anyone else with this issue?):
I think I finally tracked down an issue with my sleeptimer. cec is waking my TV after it goes off only if I am passing audio to mobile app (android)

If my TV goes off and the audio is actively playing via the app the tv will turn back on after a few minutes. I can also press any key on the remote to wake the tv after it goes off. This only seems to work like this though if I am passing audio to the app. This is a real annoyance because I use my phone at night time for audio and whatever this roku is doing with cec is counter acting my sleep timer.
0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Level 13

The first model of Ultra released didn't come with remote that controlled the power & volume for tv via IR. The later model did come with remote with tv control. You know you have second version with tv control via IR, if it has power key at the top of the remote. All previously released set top box roku and sticks never had power key on board. Which do you have?
0 Kudos
griff0417
Level 8

I default to the later release. Not around to check currently but I have a remote with power and volume and at one point both controlled the TV without issues (via ir).
0 Kudos
griff0417
Level 8

Alright, I got it working. Here's what I had to do:

in menu settings -> remote I picked entry "Set up remote for TV control"

This puts a message up on my screen saying "Is music playing? Please point your roku remote at this tv.

I can hear the music so I select 'Yes, music is playing"
Here's where it gets interesting. The next dialog to come up on screen I could see said "Has the music stopped?" but was automatically was accepting yes as the answer even though I didn't press anything on the remote. In order to make it not do this I had to mash the down arrow on the remote while it was transitioning from my input "Yes, music is playing" and the dialog "Has the music stopped?" in which allowed me to hit no and cycle to the next set of IR codes to test. The first one it had was just enough to control power and not volume, thus why my issue was occurring. 

For what it's worth: During the times where it was automatically putting yes my TV muted. This makes me think that in software they are recognizing the audio stopping and saying that is enough for a successful setup. If this is the case I would say that's some poorly designed logic because there is too much intermixing of IR codes between different model and manufactured items where this approach will not work. In my case IR code set one could mute (mute "command" sent via setup software not manual input on remote ) and control power but no volume while IR code set 2 could do power and volume. 
patarroyo
Level 8

This puts a message up on my screen saying "Is music playing? Please point your roku remote at this tv.

Here's where it gets interesting. The next dialog to come up on screen I could see said "Has the music stopped?" but was automatically was accepting yes as the answer even though I didn't press anything on the remote. In order to make it not do this I had to mash the down arrow on the remote while it was transitioning from my input "Yes, music is playing" and the dialog "Has the music stopped?" in which allowed me to hit no and cycle to the next set of IR codes to test. The first one it had was just enough to control power and not volume, thus why my issue was occurring. 

For what it's worth: During the times where it was automatically putting yes my TV muted. This makes me think that in software they are recognizing the audio stopping and saying that is enough for a successful setup. If this is the case I would say that's some poorly designed logic because there is too much intermixing of IR codes between different model and manufactured items where this approach will not work. In my case IR code set one could mute (mute "command" sent via setup software not manual input on remote ) and control power but no volume while IR code set 2 could do power and volume.

I just posted a topic about my Sony TV->Klipsch soundbar via optical issue. On a whim, decided to try this because why not.  Fixed my problem!  Thanks a million!
griff0417
Level 8

"patarroyo" wrote:

I just posted a topic about my Sony TV->Klipsch soundbar via optical issue. On a whim, decided to try this because why not.  Fixed my problem!  Thanks a million!

No Problem. Im glad this fixed your issue! So was it automatically answering the same menu for you too? 
0 Kudos