Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MarkWild
Level 7

Roku 3 does not recognize IR Universal Remotes until...

My Roku 3 works fine with my Roku RF point-anywhere remote that came with it. I have two universal remotes which have TV volume and power, so I prefer to use those. 

However if I haven’t used my Roku for several hours, the Roku does not recognize the Universal remote signals. And this is the same for EITHER universal remote. In other words, the problem is not with the universal remotes, it is with the Roku. 

But if I do just one button press with the original Roku remote to kind of “wake up” the Roku, then the Universal Remotes will work just fine.  Both of them! 

also, I notice that when the Universal remote is working with the Roku, the white light on the Roku blinks with each Roku function button press in any remote. But when it doesn’t work, there is no blinking. 

So it is clear to me that the problem is with the Roku infrared receiver not seeing the remote signals, and NOT a problem with the universal remotes. 

Has anyone else noticed this? Can anyone give some advice for how to fix this behavior?

Thank you. 
Mark 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Tivoburkee
Level 20

Re: Roku 3 does not recognize IR Universal Remotes until...

Nope, never had that problem with my Roku 3's and the only remotes I ever used on them were Universal remotes. Nowadays with stick pluses I like using the roku remotes. Maybe its old age, the roku 3 was released in 2013?

Edmund
0 Kudos
lotusguy
Level 8

I have exactly the same problem. IR (universal) remote used to work, but now only the RF (Point Anywhere) Roku remote works with the Roku 3.  Did you get a fix or workaround from the community?

0 Kudos
lotusguy
Level 8

Well I've discovered the problem and you are not going to believe it. I installed extra memory in my Roku 3 and did not note the correlation of that event and the point where IR stopped working, but that was the problem. Apparently, you can only add up to 2GB. I had installed 32GB. A bug in the software shuts down the IR receiver if more than 2GB is installed. I removed the chip, rebooted the Roku and, magically, the IR remote works.

JoeHavana
Level 7

Thank you. I could not find the answer until I saw your comment. 
I had installed a 16 gb micro card on my Roku 3 which made the Roku not work with any universal remotes, only with the original Gaming Roku. 
Thanks again for posting your comment. 

0 Kudos