Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ElaineR
Level 7

Roku 3 Remote

Can I use a remote from the Roku 3 with my new Roku Express?  
Currently, when I put batteries in, the green pair light flashes, and nothing happens when I press the pair button.  It does not function either.
I have not tried a power cycle or anything.

Thanks in advance.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Basil
Level 10

Re: Roku 3 Remote

No. The Roku 3 remote -- that is, the one that came with the Roku 3, or is available for purchase as a replacement for the Roku 3 -- is a WiFi Direct remote that pairs with a compatible device.

The Roku Express (and Express+) does not support WiFi Direct. It uses IR remotes only.

If you need to replace the remote for the Roku Express, Roku sells them for $15, plus shipping. Or, you can find a cheap "universal" remote at Best Buy, Walmart, Family Dollar, or any of a whole slew of stores. Just ensure the packaging mentions Roku. There is no "standard" Roku code for those "universal" remotes. The codes can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, and possibly even from model to mode.

Oh, one other thing. Those universal remotes programmed for Roku, or the standard IR remote will also control your Roku 3. But, the Roku 3 remote won't control an IR-only Roku, such as the Express.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
ElaineR
Level 7

Re: Roku 3 Remote

Thank you for your prompt reply.  I appreciate it.
0 Kudos