Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kpluck
Level 7

Roku 3 Remote and Batteries

I have had my Roku 3 for at least a couple of years now. I have been using the headphone jack on the remote quite a bit lately and it really chews through batteries which I guess is to be expected. However, I noticed what seems to be odd behavior.

First, regardless of what batteries I put in (Duracell, Energizer, or various rechargeables) the battery level on the remote never reads much past 60%. I recently tried some AmazonBasics high capacity rechargeables and they pegged the battery level at 62%, the highest level I have seen so far. Shouldn't this meter get to 100% at some point?

Also, the other day I put some freshly charged batteries in the remote in the morning, battery level 62%. Then, later that same day, without having used the remote or Roku, I checked the battery level again and it said 51%. It lost 11% sitting around doing nothing for about 9 hours or so. The headphones were not plugged in during this time (I always unplug the Roku headphones from the remote when I am not using them). Is that normal behavior or is it possible something is wrong with the remote?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
RokuShawnS
Level 10

Re: Roku 3 Remote and Batteries

For clarification, what is the model number of the Roku 3?  (Settings > System > About)
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
renojim
Level 10

I don't think you'll ever see 100% with rechargeable batteries. NiMH or NiCd batteries are spec'd at 1.2V whereas primary cells (i.e., non-rechargeable) are spec'd at 1.5V. Both will measure significantly higher than their specifications when new/charged, but the rechargeables will always be lower than their disposable counterparts.

-JT
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

I've certainly seen percentages higher than 60%. I'm pretty sure I've seen 100% with fresh batteries, but honestly I don't look at that screen very often. 
If you leave your ear buds plugged into the remote when you aren't using them, the audio amp in the remote remains powered up, and will chew through the batteries quickly. Make sure you've unplugged them when not in use.  Smiley Very Happy
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
kpluck
Level 7

The model is a 4200X.  Early on I stopped leaving the Roku earbuds plugged in because I read it reduced battery usage. I suppose whatever the battery meter reads isn't super important. My biggest concern is seeing the meter drop so much when the roku and remote weren't used.

I don't know if there is a "suggestion box" available but I for one would happily pay for a premium remote with a charging dock, backlit keys and elimination of the brands on the keys in favor of a user being able to assign their own favorite apps to those buttons.

Thanks for responses.  Smiley Happy

-kp
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Well, rechargeable batteries can lose charge when unused far faster than regular alkaline cells. But not 10% in a single day, unless maybe the cells were getting old.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
kpluck
Level 7

So this is interesting…(at least to me, everyone else is probably bored  Smiley Very Happy )

Something I didn't mention in my original post, didn't think it was revelavent, was that I had been having problems with audio quality when using private listening. The audio would sometimes have a little static or sound distorted. I thought it was probably the earbuds going south. It had recently become much more frequent to the point it wasn't usable.

I tried another set of earbuds with the same result. So it wasn't the earbuds…I assume there was something going wrong with the jack on the remote.

Instead of buying a new remote I decided to go ahead and get a new Roku Ultra. After several days of use it has become clear the remote that came with the Ultra has been MUCH easier on batteries. Battery consumption is so different I am beginning to wonder if there was something wrong on the other remote that was causing the problem. Or maybe the newer remotes are just more efficient? In any event, problem solved.

-kp
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Good analysis and solution. I would tend to agree that there might have been an issue with the older remote. 
Dan
0 Kudos