Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
calbear88
Level 7

Roku 3 Remote Volume Buttons DO Control my TV volume

Hi Everyone, I noticed something interesting

I have a bluetooth streaming device plugged into my TV's optical audio out, and  the volume controls on the Roku 3 remote changes the volume on my TV's speakers.  The controls don't seem seem to change the volume on my bluetooth headphones.   I don't have headphones plugged into the Roku 3 remote.  When I push the volumes button on the Roku remote, the on screen volume change graphics are the same as when I use my TV's remote to change in the volume.    Not sure how this is possible, since the Roku 3 remote doesn't send infrared signals to my TV and was never paired with it.  Is the Roku device sending a signal over the HDMI cable to the TV to change it's volume?    

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
RokuDale
Level 8

Re: Roku 3 Remote Volume Buttons DO Control my TV volume when opitcal out is pluuged in

yes, one of the new features in 7.5.
Could you post make.model of your TV?
thanks
rokudale
0 Kudos
calbear88
Level 7

Re: Roku 3 Remote Volume Buttons DO Control my TV volume when opitcal out is pluuged in

My TV is a Toshiba 40inch LED TV.  Model 40RV525R.  Thanks for the great feature.  Just wondering, why does it control the TV volume only when I have a device plugged into the optical out port?   
0 Kudos
RokuDale
Level 8

It should control the volume whenever you do not have headphones plugged into the remote. Not all TVs respond to these CEC commands though. That's why I asked for the TV info as I'm making a list of TVs that work with this new feature.
0 Kudos
calbear88
Level 7

You're right.  I had tried turning off my TV, unplugging the optical out cable, and then turned back on the TV and found that the roku remote buttons weren't controlling the volume any longer and had assumed it was due to unplugging the optical  out cable.  As it turns it, there seems to be a two minute delay between when I turn on the TV, and when the Roku remote volume buttons seem to work on the TV.  I confirmed it works fine whether or not I have the optical cable plugged in.
0 Kudos
djwilso
Level 7

"RokuDale" wrote:
It should control the volume whenever you do not have headphones plugged into the remote. Not all TVs respond to these CEC commands though. That's why I asked for the TV info as I'm making a list of TVs that work with this new feature.

Dale,
I just came across this thread as I had randomly noticed that my Roku 3 with version 7.5 firmware is also now able to control my TV's volume. To add to your list, my TV is a Sharp LC-80LE844U from 2012.
0 Kudos
RokuDale
Level 8

Re: Roku 3 Remote Volume Buttons DO Control my TV volume

Also Sony XBR-43x830c works
0 Kudos
jotaeh
Level 7

My TV is a Toshiba 50L1350U and the Roku 3 remote controls volume. Nothing is plugged into the optical port. HDMI CEC is activated.
0 Kudos
RokuDale
Level 8

We've found that most Toshiba TVs since 2009 support the CEC volume control. Unfortunately they stopped making TVs a year or so ago.
A few Sharp TVs also work (later models)
Also on the list are newer Sony TVs.(2014 and later)
Sadly neither Samsung nor LG TVs seem to respond to the CEC volume control commands.
Maybe a future software upgrade for those TVs will add the feature.
Rokudale
0 Kudos
Highlighted
beq
Level 8

Awesome thanks for the list!
0 Kudos