Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Roku 3 - 4200X Remote is Eating Batteries

Jump to solution

I've had the Roku 3 - 4200X for a number of years but it has suddenly started eating batteries at an alarming rate.  I believe I have changed the batteries 3 times in the last month.  I replaced them early last week and came home from a long weekend away only to find that the remote drained the batteries again.  This makes me believe that there is an internal short somewhere since the batteries drained even when the remote was not being used.  I am not using the remote audio function.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: Roku 3 - 4200X Remote is Eating Batteries

Jump to solution

The 4200 was released in March of 2013, so it's getting along in electronic years. It is still officially supported by Roku, in that it still gets updates. But it won't run some of the latest channels, it's a slower processor, and only outputs 30 Hz at 1080p (it does 60 Hz at 720p). There's a reasonable chance that it has simply failed. 

Of course, if you're satisfied with the 4200, you could just replace the remote. The Roku web site says the Voice Remote (out of stock) and the Simple Remote both work on your player. The Simple Remote is IR, not wireless like your current remote. IR remote batteries last a very long time, as they do nothing unless you press a button. The wireless remotes are always in communication with the player, although they do have a low powered sleep mode. That is likely where yours has failed. You can also find universal IR remotes in many local stores, as long as they list Roku as a supported device. Just remember you must have a direct line of sight between the remote and the Roku with IR.

Since your remote has the listening jack, it's possible that something has jammed the switch on the jack that is enabling the internal audio amplifier. That would be the same as leaving headphones always connected to the remote. It leaves the amp on at full power, and will drain the batteries in days. You could try inserting and removing a plug in the jack and see if anything dislodges. Do this rapidly a number of times and it might un-jam the switch.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Highlighted
Level 21

Jump to solution

The 4200 was released in March of 2013, so it's getting along in electronic years. It is still officially supported by Roku, in that it still gets updates. But it won't run some of the latest channels, it's a slower processor, and only outputs 30 Hz at 1080p (it does 60 Hz at 720p). There's a reasonable chance that it has simply failed. 

Of course, if you're satisfied with the 4200, you could just replace the remote. The Roku web site says the Voice Remote (out of stock) and the Simple Remote both work on your player. The Simple Remote is IR, not wireless like your current remote. IR remote batteries last a very long time, as they do nothing unless you press a button. The wireless remotes are always in communication with the player, although they do have a low powered sleep mode. That is likely where yours has failed. You can also find universal IR remotes in many local stores, as long as they list Roku as a supported device. Just remember you must have a direct line of sight between the remote and the Roku with IR.

Since your remote has the listening jack, it's possible that something has jammed the switch on the jack that is enabling the internal audio amplifier. That would be the same as leaving headphones always connected to the remote. It leaves the amp on at full power, and will drain the batteries in days. You could try inserting and removing a plug in the jack and see if anything dislodges. Do this rapidly a number of times and it might un-jam the switch.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

My Roku 3 is is now eating 6 batteries per DAY!!. This is ridiculous, what is the permanent fix? I am disabled and this is VERY difficult for me to deal with.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

The fix is to use the Roku app on your phone as a remote, buy a new Roku remote, or buy a cheap universal IR remote.  The Roku 3 is long past its warranty period.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@Homerocks 

Thanks for the post.

As @renojim mentioned, the Roku 3 is an older Roku device that is no longer under warranty. It's possible that the remote may simply be on its way out.

If you need a replacement remote for your device, you can purchase a remote on our Products page here: https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/player

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos