Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ella3
Level 8

Roku 2 remote won't work

I have used my Roku 2 for years with no issues. Recently updated my Wi-Fi so need to reconnect my Roku device to the new internet however the remote has stopped working. I then bought a new remote and this also won't work/connect. I can't use the mobile app because the device needs to be connected to the same internet channel, but I can't connect to Wi-Fi without a remote!!

Please help, it's driving me crackers!

7 REPLIES 7\
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku 2 remote won't work

If the Roku 2 was the HD version the original remote was bluetooth, and if you purchased a new wifi-direct remote like the voice remote it won't work at all on the roku 2. It will take an IR remote in addition to  the BT remote. So get a cheap universal remote with roku lsted. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Ella3
Level 8

the old remote was IR and the new one I've bought is a universal IR. Neither of them are being picked up by the console so I can't connect it to Wi-Fi

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Sounds like its the roku itself, time upgrade. sorry. 

Edmund

0 Kudos
Ella3
Level 8

But it works with the phone app remote on my old Wi-Fi router.. Smiley SadSmiley SadSmiley SadSmiley Sad so annoying!

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

But the IR sensor on the roku itself is probably no longer working. The phone app doesn't use IR, BT, or Wifi it uses the IP, the internet. 

Edmund

0 Kudos
Loyalty
Level 8

My Roku 2 had the same problem. It’s not working with remote but it’s working with Roku app.  :-(

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Loyalty 

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide more information about the issue you are experiencing? What Roku model device are you using?

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos