Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
socantra
Level 8

Re: Roku 2 only a month old....Batteries already dead?

"airibis" wrote:

Maybe this is just for those of us who bought the device a month ago, bad batch of batteries? If this was the case, and they sent us defective batteries... shouldn't they replace them? Technically when we buy our devices, we are paying for the device, the packaging, the manuals, cables, and batteries...

Sounds like another class action lawsuit to me. :roll:
Please attempt to maintain a thin veneer of civility.
Remember, you are speaking to strangers on the internet,
not your own family at home.
0 Kudos

Batteries are a very cheap consumable. Just go out and buy some.
0 Kudos
gserve
Level 7

Having the same problem. Gaming remote is unresponsive when I first try to wake up the roku2. Have replaced the batteries once already now it looks like I'll have to replace them again. Roku is only about a month old! What gives.
0 Kudos
kc8pql
Level 8

"gserve" wrote:
Having the same problem. Gaming remote is unresponsive when I first try to wake up the roku2. Have replaced the batteries once already now it looks like I'll have to replace them again. Roku is only about a month old! What gives.

As noted above, the gaming remote that comes with the R2 XS is an RF remote. It takes a lot more power to run a radio transceiver than it does to make an IR LED blink occasionally, particularly if you're playing games.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
0 Kudos
dan22
Level 7

On my Roku 2 XS, I thought I had a dead battery, but after pressing various buttons many times, it seems to wake up and the green lights below the blue "B" button lights up. So the battery isn't dead -- it seems that the remote has gone to sleep and I need to somehow wake it up
0 Kudos
renojim
Level 12

If both of your lights are flashing when you press a button, your batteries are low.

-JT
0 Kudos
donbga
Level 7

"-LD" wrote:
Eneloop rechargeables are the best. I use them in most of my devices.

Enloop are the best and most durable. Look for the 2000 mah with the blue label. They can be recharged hundreds of times and the charge holds just as well as throw aways.

As far as helping the environment nothing comes free but at least rechargeable batts don't get tossed quite as often.
0 Kudos
mommom
Level 7

Have you ever used a Wii remote with regular batteries instead of the charger pack? They don't last long either. I wonder if it would be possible to make something like the usb charger that works on the Wii and a remote that fits in the charger base when not in use,just like the Wii ?
0 Kudos
cwniles
Level 7

"stormchaser977" wrote:
Yep! Gold and blue desay batteries....

my Roku2 XS has been operational since July 22nd and is still using the gold & blue Desay batteries it came with. granted 2 months is no major achievement but I just wanted to point out that the experience some have reported is by no means universal.

now if they die in the next couple of months I would think they should have lasted longer but what I would do is replace them with a known good brand of battery and use the lifespan of those batteries as a measuring stick for what to expect out of replacement batteries.
Roku 2 XS>HDMI>Denon AVR-361>HDMI>Samsung 2333HD
Scientific Atlanta Cable Modem DPC2100R2 >Dynex DX-E402 Router (no wifi)
USB>Seagate Barracuda 7200 SATA 1TB in dock.
Roku S/N 13A16H000141
0 Kudos
Allgood_73
Level 7

Alright, so after looking at the responses on here... I think half (or more) of the ppl are talking out their ass and don't even have a roku 2 player or understand the IR remote with the internal gyro and accelerometer features.

I have had a roku original player for 2 years and never replaced the battery... then decided to upgrade to the roku 2 player. 12 days later the initial batteries are dead after rare usage. Yes, they send cheap batteries with it... so I replaced them with Energizer batteries and just had them die again today... this time 15 days later.

For those of you who are saying IR uses more energy, you are absolutely correct. For those of you who say it's normal for an IR remote control to eat through a set of batteries in that short of time with rare usage... THOSE are the people talking out their ass. A decent IR remote should go into standby mode when not in use... and when used rarely should at LEAST last a month at bare minimum with decent batteries.

I can stick the same batteries in an Xbox controller... which is also IR, and can have it last 2 weeks of FREQUENT usage.

And no, I'm not a "class action lawsuit" happy person and do not agree with that route... but instead fix the remote and allow people to simply trade in their old remotes. Since it was an honest research and development error, no need to even cover extra costs such as shipping and handling. I believe roku currently has a poorly programmed remote that doesn't properly utilize standby mode and also constantly powers it's internal accelerometer and gyro when there is no need 99% of the time. They need to put the remote in standby sooner and have a on/off switch for the gyro and accelerometer.... and I believe this along would at least double the life span.
0 Kudos