Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Roku 2 only a month old....Batteries already dead?

Own up, how much Angry Birds are you playing? Smiley Very Happy

Before buying expensive batteries I would try regular Duracells. The ones that shipped with the remote are likely cheap nasties. I usually discard those as cheap batteries are prone to leaking in my experience.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 12

From what I've heard, any alkaline will do.. I usually buy semi-generic ones like Fuji, Panasonic, or Delco, or sometimes Rayovac.. Much cheaper than Duracells or Energizers.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
Sabrewulf
Level 7

Yea, I noticed it eating batteries more than other remotes, so I started using rechargeables, have a lot of them for all the camera's and Wii remotes anyway, they're working great, so problem solved.
0 Kudos
StellarRat
Level 7

"stratcat96" wrote:
"StellarRat" wrote:
"stratcat96" wrote:
the remote is RF, an RF transmitter uses lots of juice.
Are you sure about that? My IR universal remote is operating the Roku just fine. RF remotes aren't nearly as common as IR remotes.

the Roku 2 units have receivers for both RF and IR. The Roku 2's remote does not need to be used line of sight either. An IR remote, including previous Roku model remotes will operate it, but a R2 remote will not operate any previous generation Roku.
I see. Well, in my case it makes no difference as the Roku is right in front of my coffee table and my IR universal is very powerful. In fact, I can bounce off the wall behind me and still control everything when the batteries are fresh. The best the OP will be able to do is put good batteries in his remote OR use a universal with less consumption.
0 Kudos
StellarRat
Level 7

"senorgregster" wrote:
Own up, how much Angry Birds are you playing? Smiley Very Happy

Before buying expensive batteries I would try regular Duracells. The ones that shipped with the remote are likely cheap nasties. I usually discard those as cheap batteries are prone to leaking in my experience.
and they're cheap and usually half dead when you get them. That's called cost cutting.
0 Kudos
-LD
Level 7

Eneloop rechargeables are the best. I use them in most of my devices.
0 Kudos
kc8pql
Level 8

^ +1
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
0 Kudos

Thank you for all the replies! I think rechargeables are gonna be the solution......either that or more expensive brand batteries. I was just confused because it actually states on the Roku website that the batteries should last about a year......so yeah, concerned me.
0 Kudos
airibis
Level 7

Same thing happened to me. Bought my roku about a month ago and the batteries died a few weeks later.

Maybe this is just for those of us who bought the device a month ago, bad batch of batteries? If this was the case, and they sent us defective batteries... shouldn't they replace them? Technically when we buy our devices, we are paying for the device, the packaging, the manuals, cables, and batteries...

Were your batteries gold and blue, "Desay" brand?
0 Kudos

Yep! Gold and blue desay batteries....
0 Kudos