Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roku 2 only a month old....Batteries already dead?

I just bought my Roku about a month ago and noticed that the remote light is no longer bright like it used to be. It is very dim. So I replaced the batteries, and it is bright again.....so I know it is the batteries that are dying. It says on the Roku website that the batteries should last about a year before dying, mine have lasted a month! Anybody else having this problem? I contacted support, and they said they can not replace the batteries....just the remote.......I just want them to send me some batteries, but they won't......Do they use special batteries that last way longer than normal?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
92 Replies

Re: Roku 2 only a month old....Batteries already dead?

I forgot to mention that the problem isn't just the lights being dim, the remote stops responding because the batteries are dying.......therefore the light is dim.....just to clarify
0 Kudos
stratcat96
Level 7

the remote is RF, an RF transmitter uses lots of juice. I've replaced my R2 XS remote's batteries once already too because it died after about a month and a half. Batteries are a consumable, no company will replace them for running down just like HP wouldn't replace the ink cartridge that came with a printer for it being out of ink.
0 Kudos
jcmolet
Level 7

"stormchaser977" wrote:
It says on the Roku website that the batteries should last about a year before dying, mine have lasted a month!

New, fresh batteries probably will last 9 - 12 months depending on how often a remote is being used. Unfortunately, there is no way to know how long the batteries that came with your remote were sitting in a warehouse somewhere before they were paired with your remote and shipped. If you find yourself replacing remote batteries every 6 weeks or so, for any device, that would be cause for concern. I wouldn't sweat getting limited use out of the batteries that shipped with your device.
0 Kudos

Thanks....At least I know I am not alone......Are there special batteries that I could buy that would last longer? They use brand Deesay...never heard of em.....
0 Kudos
stratcat96
Level 7

"stormchaser977" wrote:
Thanks....At least I know I am not alone......Are there special batteries that I could buy that would last longer? They use brand Deesay...never heard of em.....

I still have the original batteries in my XDS remote that I bought last Fall so being original batteries isn't inherently bad. The R2 remotes using RF transmission definitely will use them up faster. You could try using the Energizer e square batteries as they are best in use for digital cameras for instance which use a big current draw periodically rather than a device which uses a constant draw.
0 Kudos
scyber
Level 7

I assume you are talking about the motion remote for the R2. If so, since that remote is motion activated, any movement will cause battery usage. Is it possible that you are storing the remote somewhere where it would get shaken and/or rocked while not in use? Perhaps a wobbly end table is causing the remote to send out constant signals and that is what is draining the battery.
0 Kudos
StellarRat
Level 7

"stratcat96" wrote:
the remote is RF, an RF transmitter uses lots of juice.
Are you sure about that? My IR universal remote is operating the Roku just fine. RF remotes aren't nearly as common as IR remotes.
0 Kudos
aaronwt
Level 8

"stormchaser977" wrote:

Get some Lithium batteries. They will last several times longer than alkaline batteries. Or get rechargeable batteries and help the environment.
I use the newer rechargeable batteries in my remotes now. They can sit for a long time and still hold their charge.
TCL 6 Series--Streaming Stick Plus--2016 Ultra

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
0 Kudos
stratcat96
Level 7

"StellarRat" wrote:
"stratcat96" wrote:
the remote is RF, an RF transmitter uses lots of juice.
Are you sure about that? My IR universal remote is operating the Roku just fine. RF remotes aren't nearly as common as IR remotes.

the Roku 2 units have receivers for both RF and IR. The Roku 2's remote does not need to be used line of sight either. An IR remote, including previous Roku model remotes will operate it, but a R2 remote will not operate any previous generation Roku.
0 Kudos