Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Londoner
Level 7

Roku 2 XS 3100X Remote failure

My remote for the 2XS stopped working suddenly. I installed fresh batteries and performed the "pairing" procedure. The pairing was a success and the remote worked well for a couple of days. It stopped working again and I have had no success with getting it working again. I have tried new batteries and pairing with no success.
Does anyone have ideas about the cause of the problem? Please pass on any knowledge or suggestions on getting this fixed. Thanks for reading and any help you may give.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
DBDukes
Level 9

Re: Roku 2 XS 3100X Remote failure

"Londoner" wrote:
My remote for the 2XS stopped working suddenly. I installed fresh batteries and performed the "pairing" procedure. The pairing was a success and the remote worked well for a couple of days. It stopped working again and I have had no success with getting it working again. I have tried new batteries and pairing with no success.

Does anyone have ideas about the cause of the problem? Please pass on any knowledge or suggestions on getting this fixed. Thanks for reading and any help you may give.

Reasons? Yeah. The Roku 2 XS was released in 2011 and discontinued (in the U.S.) in 2014. The remote could just be old and not working. Or something in the Roku 2 XS itself. Of course, it could be that something is interfering with it, causing it to not pair. More about that in a minute.

That remote is a Bluetooth remote, not a WiFi Direct remote. All of the other non-IR remotes that Roku devices had are all WiFi Direct, so you couldn't replace the remote with one of the current WiFi Direct models. You could use an IR remote, whether from Roku or from a third party that supports Roku devices.

You can test to see if the remote is transmitting a Bluetooth signal. Unplug the Roku 2XS, open the back of the remote and press and hold the pairing button, and using your phone, check to see if it's picking up the remote. If so, the remote is transmitting, and it's either interference or the Roku 2 XS itself.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
Londoner
Level 7

Thank you Duke's.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

My recommendation (take it or leave it):

Replace that really old Roku 2XS with a newer Roku.. ANY new Roku will be leaps and bounds faster than that box.. Not only was it slower to begin with but software updates from the past 3 years have slowed the main interface down to a crawl. A new one is half the price what you paid for the Roku 2XS (unless it was a gift, of course).
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
Londoner
Level 7

Thanks Jeff good advice I think.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

I still have a 2 XS, but it sits at the bottom of a desk drawer. it is terribly slow to use, and some channels are completely unusable (YouTube). Trust me, even the lowest cost new versions are significantly better than that old thing. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Londoner
Level 7

Thanks Dan... yours is the suggestion I'm getting the most.
0 Kudos