Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
troothteller
Level 7

Roku 2 Remote Died Today

It's been such a while since I logged into either the main website or this forum that I could not get on without registering a new account.  Yesterday my Roku 2 acted stubbornly while scrolling through icons and film frames.  Today it just about quit altogether, even having had new batteries.  Among icons on the TV screen it sort of rests until it feels like moving a few places, making video selection a tiresome activity.  So, I have a stuck remote.  Any troubleshooting advice?  It is on a Windows 7 system, if important.  I hate to buy a new streaming device now.  Before Microsoft quits supporting Windows 7 I will purchase of refurbished Apple.  Thanks for all who can read this.  The Roku 2 connects to my TV on my wireless network.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
25 Replies
jeffrok
Level 11

Re: Roku 2 Remote Died Today

I'm not sure what you mean by "It's on a Windows 7 system".. your Roku doesn't connect to your computer, other than for local media streaming.

Your best bet is to buy a replacement remote from Roku.com/accessories, the Standard IR remote will do.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
troothteller
Level 7

Groovy profile picture.  Yeah, you are right.  My Roku 2 connects to the TV which connects over my wireless network.  My Windows 7 would be a host computer.  I do not know how often the OS is an issue.  From streaming on apps I know that blocking within browsers can interrupt streaming because they do not want you to block adds.  Thanks for the advice on purchasing a new remote.  I guess that is a universal one.  Now, I would like to forward something to the right moderator about my previous login problem.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

Sounds good. Just know again, that your computer doesn't need to be on to stream to your Roku frommthe internet. The Roku works on its own, unless you've got content on your laptop you want to stream through a DLNA server.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Yes, please don't use Windows Media Services as your streaming source on your computer. Try Plex, Emby, Serviio, or one of the many free or low cost DLNA servers that you can download and install on a Windows PC. Windows Media is a terrible streaming source unless your videos are 100% Roku format compliant. And I can almost guarantee that you will have some non-compliant media at some time. Smiley Very Happy
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
troothteller
Level 7

Thanks for being helpful.  I never heard of these services.  However, with Microsoft planning to quit supporting Windows 7, and probably Windows 10 soon after, I am trying to be careful with this computer, hoping that it doesn't crash in the meantime.  My refurbished Apple computer will have things designed to go with it.  I have had so much trouble with Microsoft and associated vendors that I have had it with Microsoft.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Those other DLNA servers I mentioned in most cases have versions for Mac and Linux as well. So even if you used a Windows version now you could switch to a Mac and use what you are already comfortable with. 
Yes, Windows 7 support is ending soon. I think they'll be supporting Win 10 for quite some time, since they haven't released a completely new OS since then. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
troothteller
Level 7

Thanks for your help.  I still don't trust Microsoft.  They have been real nasty since I have to use my computer for non-profit work.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

"troothteller" wrote:
Thanks for your help.  I still don't trust Microsoft.  They have been real nasty since I have to use my computer for non-profit work.

Throughout this thread, I still haven't figured out what your computer has to do with your Roku problem..hmm.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
0 Kudos
troothteller
Level 7

It is the host computer on my wireless network.  I only disclosed it leaving it up to the experts out there as to whether it has anything to do with Roku streaming.  With a broken remote control it probably doesn't.  I probably should not have brought it up to avoid confusion.  I do not like streaming on computer and connecting it to a TV.  Vaguely I remember having to shut something down on the computer in order to do that.
0 Kudos