Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Roku 2 Remote Died Today

Now that the new remote came today, I switched out my batteries to the new one.  This new remote works as badly as the old one.  After following the video, I removed the batteries before I powercycled the Roku 2.  Then after putting the batteries back in the remote still does not work.  It may move once, but not continually across the icons on the menu.  This remote does not have a pairing button.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 13

Make sure the Roku 2 infrared sensor isn't covered by anything.. the front of the Roku 2 contains the infrared sensor and has to be within "sight" of the remote.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I have done that.  That is not the problem.  After the remote rests, the arrows on it allow it to move one app position, then it freezes.  The old one worked this way.  Now, I do not know which one is worse.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 13

Well, try moving the Roku 2 away from the TV.. are there any other lights nearby that could be causing interference with the remote? If possible, move the Roku to a completely different tv in the house (if possible).. In the past there were certain models of Phillips TV's that had an ambient light coming off of them, and when enabled, would interfere with IR remotes.

So try repositioning the Roku first, and if that doesn't work, test it on a different TV in a different room.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

The Roku 2 is in a different spot as far as the chords connecting it allow.  Because of the remote freezing I do not know if it is still connected to my wireless network.  The screen froze to the left and will not scroll down.  It seems like the old one, which I did not throw away, worked better than this one.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 13

"troothteller" wrote:
The Roku 2 is in a different spot as far as the chords connecting it allow.  Because of the remote freezing I do not know if it is still connected to my wireless network.  The screen froze to the left and will not scroll down.  It seems like the old one, which I did not throw away, worked better than this one.

I'm not sure I understand.

The Roku 2 remote doesn't use wifi to control.. it uses infrared (IR) like a standard tv remote does. Even if your wifi was down, your Roku 2 remote control would still work.

Again, try moving the Roku 2 away from the TV, and make double sure the front of the Roku 2 is not blocked or covered. Also just to rule out light-based interference, try hooking the Roku up to a TV in a different room to see if that helps at all. Just as a troubleshooting step.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18

I suspect we have a pronoun reference problem here.  I think he means:

"Because of the remote freezing I do not know if [the Roku2] is still connected to my wireless network", i.e. he can't get to the System screens to check the wifi connection.
  • Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Thank you for clarifying in the last post.  This is a small apartment with only one TV and not very many hookup options.  My network hardware is all close together.  The Roku 2 is on a stereo cabinet to the right of the stand where my TV sits, but about 6 inches above the top of the TV.  Even if I could move it to the other side of the TV, to the left, it would sit on top of my laser printer.  We cannot do that.  Just now since my last post, I turned my TV on.  With the remote I could only move one notch to the right highlighting my first icon for the app Netflix.  To the extreme right I can see the promotional area advertising "Good Bones" on HGTV.  The last time I saw that area it was blanked grey with "Roku" in the middle, which often means that it disconnected from the wireless network.  Now, I am assuming that it is connected, but as the last member clarified, I cannot scroll anymore to where I can check the connection.  Unless someone knows of a easier solution, when I get some real work done on this computer, requiring so much maintenance that I am not getting my money's worth, I will shut down, powercycle everything and restart, removing the batteries from the remote first and replacing them as the last step.  After watching so many YouTube videos repeating the same solution, someone suggested powercycling the router in addition to the other steps.  I may as well do the whole system.  These are fairly new batteries; but maybe they took a beating.  As last resort, I will try brand new ones and see what happens.  Being disatisfied over having bought a new remote that is worse than the one that I thought died, I investigated more on the Internet.  I tried other means of powercycling, by disconnecting the high definition chord, by using the reset button without the high definition chord and with both that chord and the power chord out and then back in.  Now I am going through setup again.  At first I could not tell if the new remote was pairing.  It is still just as frozen as ever.  I switched back to the previous remote, which is more reliable but still freezes at the wrong time.  Now, I am stuck on the screen where we are suppose to set the level of definition.  Now, I am going to have to wait to do that complete powercycle of the network.  The Roku device itself went down, no light at all.  My TV says "Roku" all over the screen in purple letters.
0 Kudos
Level 7

I have not given my system that powercycle yet; but I suspect that something is wrong besides the remotes.  Here I am with two remotes that do not work, only the one that I ordered to fix the problem is worse than the original.  The problem must be in my Roku 2 itself.  Yesterday, while still on the Language Selection page, I used a queue tip with alcohol to clean the area where the light is.  The device and remote still do not recognize each other.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 13

You may need to replace the Roku, as you said. It sounds like the IR sensor on the Roku itself has flaked out. It should just work. My advice would be to buy either a Roku Stick or a Roku Express. Both are more than capable of doing what your Roku 2 did. The stick is nice because you don't need line of sight to use it, as it uses a WiFi based remote. The downside is only certain remotes are compatible with it, if anything were to happen to the included remote.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
0 Kudos