Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jenkenn5
Level 7

Roku 1 and no remote

I have a Roku 1 that is used for an older tv. We don't have the remote anymore and have been using our smart phones instead. We just got new internet service in the house. Now our smart phones are not able to sync to the Roku 1 because the Roku isn't connected to the internet yet. Please help!

Side note: we have a room tv in the living room with it's own remote but that remote does not have a pairing button.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
twiceover
Level 10

Re: Roku 1 and no remote

The Roku1 should respond to the other remote.  I don't think the Roku1 had a wireless remote so it wouldn't have pairing anyway.  What is the model of the "other" roku?
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

If the remote you have in the other room doesn't have a pairing button, it will work with a Roku 1. The only Roku device that won't work with infrared remotes are the Roku stick (since there's no line of sight)..
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
Jenkenn5
Level 7

Yes our Roku 1 came with a wireless remote. The remote we have for the tv in the living room will not work on it. The one in the living room is a TCL Roku tv.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

Your best bet is to just buy a replacement RF remote.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"Jenkenn5" wrote:
Yes our Roku 1 came with a wireless remote. The remote we have for the tv in the living room will not work on it. The one in the living room is a TCL Roku tv.

The Roku 1 model 2710 -- the only device officially named "Roku 1" -- came with an IR remote. The Roku 1 does not support the WiFi Direct remotes. Nor does it support the Bluetooth remote that came with the Roku 2 XS (and worked with the Roku 2 XD). Are you sure it's not a Roku 2 model 2720? The Roku 1 has a "1" molded into the top of the device.

Now, I suppose the Roku 1 remote could be called "wireless" in that it doesn't have a wire connecting it. But it's an IR remote.

You can replace that by running down to Walmart, Dollar General, Best Buy, or one of a zillion other places that sell cheap universal infrared remotes. Just make sure it says it lists Roku as a supported device. It'll work well enough to connect to your network.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
Jenkenn5
Level 7

We already accepted we won't be watching our planned movies tonight. We will get a replacement remote this weekend.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

If it's wireless you're trying to connect to, change the SSID and password on your router to the name and password you used with your old box. Your Roku should then reconnect as if it was the same old network, because in reality it is the same as far as the Roku is concerned. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos