Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roke Simple Remote Upgrading

Hi,

I purchased a  Roku Express HD Streaming Media Player with High Speed HDMI Cable and Simple Remote

I'm wondering is there a different Remote that is similar to a Full TV Remote; pretty much a remote that's better then the Simple Remoe?

Thank you.

Paul

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roke Simple Remote Upgrading

The only remotes from Roku that have any TV controls are the Voice Remote and the Voice Remote Pro (which is rechargeable).  They will only turn a TV on or off and control the volume/mute.  Your Express will work with any 3rd party universal remote that supports Roku devices.  I know @Tivoburkee has one that he likes or recommends.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
MilesT
Roku Guru

Re: Roke Simple Remote Upgrading

@renojim wrote:

The only remotes from Roku that have any TV controls are the Voice Remote and the Voice Remote Pro (which is rechargeable).  They will only turn a TV on or off and control the volume/mute.  Your Express will work with any 3rd party universal remote that supports Roku devices.  I know @Tivoburkee has one that he likes or recommends.

I'll jump in before Tivoburkee does.

What @renojim says isn't quite the whole story.  There is one IR remote which does have volume controls that works with Roku boxes (not sticks). It is the Onn-Roku branded RC-ELIR (not Onn-RokuTV branded). Not available new/standalone from stores, only on sites like eBay, and are a bit rare. Some clone remotes (eBay etc) do have "learning" features for power volume mute, but I have found them to be hit and miss for what they work with.

Best 3rd party universal remote I have found for Roku is oneforall model 7935.  Has codes for Roku "box" devices and most TV brands, and learning function to program for less common brands (can take a few goes to make that work, follow instructions carefully and be persistent).

Not a Roku employee