Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Brihappy23

Rewind turning tv off

The rewind button on the rocky remote keeps turning my TV off. I have restarted the tv, unplugged the roku from the tv, checked for updates on the roku and nothing is fixing the problem. 
many help would be greatly appreciated 

0 Kudos
24 REPLIES 24
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Rewind turning tv off

Welcome to the Roku Community, @Brihappy23.

We'd like to gather more information about the issue you're running into. Does the issue only occur on a specific channel or all channels on your Roku device? Are you using a Roku TV or a Roku device? 

Please keep us posted and we'll continue assisting you from there!

Thank you,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Bassman1
Channel Surfer

I also have been having the same issue.  It occurs while on the Netflix channel.  We are using a Roku Ultra box.  We have done all the unplug/reset steps as well, same thing, keeps happening several times a month.  Right in the middle of shows, very annoying. 

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

I wonder if you and the OP are using the same type of TV. 

0 Kudos
Bassman1
Channel Surfer

Doubt it as ours is a Westinghouse and who else has those anymore 🙂   But it's not the only issue.  60% of the time REWIND shuts off the TV.  The other 40% it either launches HBO or Hulu - the quick buttons for which are quite far from REWIND.  I wonder if this shortcut-key remote is Gen1 and no good.........needing to replace a Roku box and/or remote every 2 years seems a bit ridiculous. 

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Well the OP's post was 6 months ago.  So out of 50 million Roku subscribers, I think 2 over 6 months might be using the same obscure TV.  That said, I'm not sure Westinghouse is all that obscure since Target lists them as in stock.

(I assume Westinghouse these days is just a "gold old days" brand name bought by a Chinese TV maker.)

Your other symptoms do point more toward the remote though.  If you were to deprogram the TV controls and the TV stopped turning off, then I would say the remote is the issue.

0 Kudos
Bassman1
Channel Surfer

Well, the box is 2 yrs old, so it's not under warranty.  So like I lamented, my only option is prob to buy another new setup because their remote underperforms every other device remote I've ever owned by years?  I'm not even sure if they replace just remotes but I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same price as a new setup.  

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Did the roku remote ever not conflict with your tv or has it always? If the two just happen to use similar IR protocols that conflict there is nothing you can do with roku and remotes you have now. But if the roku accepts wifi roku remote you were to replace the IR with wifi voice remote there won't be any more conflicts. Since the roku remote would communicate with roku via wifi, a type of RF. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Bassman1
Channel Surfer

It did not act up for at least the first year; started in the last 6 months, I'd say.  Sounds like you're recommending to replace the remote that came with the box with a wifi voice controlled remote, is that correct?  My remote DOES have a voice feature on it (we don't use it), is that what you mean? And it depends if my Roku box will work that way?  I'm not sure how to test what you're describing.  Also would need to research where to buy one of these remotes you're describing. 

0 Kudos
Anette

I'm having the exact same problem, has anyone found a solution?

I have a Samsung TV and Roku ultra box.

Thanks in advance 

Anette

0 Kudos